C.E.L went on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Hey guys,
I really haven't used my truck for about a good year, since I got the other two cars now for me and my wife's D&D's.

However my dad uses Goldie every so often to haul lumber and such for his side "Handyman" jobs and so forth. It sits now, most of the time.

today I went to go and get and drive it for the week, and pops informs me that the Check Engine Light came on, and he noticed that the carb doesn't do its usual "ticking", when he turns the key on, which I assume is part of the emmision air/fuel mixture control deal that my carb came with. GM had tried to make these carbs more fuel efficient during the 80's especially in Cali.

My question is, is this deal hard to replace? The truck runs fine otherwise

I can unplug the unit from the blue deal in the carb, but the blue piece seems to be hard fixed to the carb itself.

I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• new pic.jpg
    new pic.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey guys,
I really haven't used my truck for about a good year, since I got the other two cars now for me and my wife's D&D's.

However my dad uses Goldie every so often to haul lumber and such for his side "Handyman" jobs and so forth. It sits now, most of the time.

today I went to go and get and drive it for the week, and pops informs me that the Check Engine Light came on, and he noticed that the carb doesn't do its usual "ticking", when he turns the key on, which I assume is part of the emmision air/fuel mixture control deal that my carb came with. GM had tried to make these carbs more fuel efficient during the 80's especially in Cali.

My question is, is this deal hard to replace? The truck runs fine otherwise

I can unplug the unit from the blue deal in the carb, but the blue piece seems to be hard fixed to the carb itself.

I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about
Yup...pretty easy, if you dont mind pulling the top of the carb apart.
I can do it if you want to trek up here...just get the part. its the mixture control solenoid.
its between 222 and 234
You must be registered for see images attach

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Yup...pretty easy, if you dont mind pulling the top of the carb apart.
I can do it if you want to trek up here...just get the part. its the mixture control solenoid.
its between 222 and 234
You must be registered for see images attach

Jim!!! Dude you rock, me and my dad had a sneaking suspicion that we had to pop the top off the carb to get to that.

Will this really effect the performance of the engine? I just had it smogged, which it passed, back in Feb. As you know I have a few years to get it to pass again. Like I said earlier, I really don't use it much anymore, so I might sort of wait to fix it.. pending if it is that crucial of a part to replace asap... (obviously I can go and pick this specific part up w/o having to get a whole new carb...?)

Might be heading your way Buddy :wave:

BTW.. how are things dude!!! weren't you working with Grainger?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jim!!! Dude you rock, me and my dad had a sneaking suspicion that we had to pop the top off the carb to get to that.

Will this really effect the performance of the engine? I just had it smogged, which it passed, back in Feb. As you know I have a few years to get it to pass again. Like I said earlier, I really don't use it much anymore, so I might sort of wait to fix it.. pending if it is that crucial of a part to replace asap... (obviously I can go and pick this specific part up w/o having to get a whole new carb...?)

Might be heading your way Buddy :wave:

BTW.. how are things dude!!! weren't you working with Grainger?
Nahh, they sent a standard e-mail saying thanks, and the positions were filled. The Distribution centers here in town seem to prefer hiring folks from out of town for some reason.
Its not a big deal if it still idles ok. The ECM only controls the mixture for emissions at Idle and part throttle. it may smell a tad rich every now and then, and MPG may suffer a little.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:flipthebird:

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Nahh, they sent a standard e-mail saying thanks, and the positions were filled. The Distribution centers here in town seem to prefer hiring folks from out of town for some reason.
Its not a big deal if it still idles ok. The ECM only controls the mixture for emissions at Idle and part throttle. it may smell a tad rich every now and then, and MPG may suffer a little.

ehhh.. it always ran a little rich anyway, I'll have to get to it though, eventually.

I decided to drive my truck this week, got her all washed up and everything, I got the guys at work all fired up for the classic trucks now. :happy160:

One dude is ressurecting a 64 C-10, another has bright orange 87 Blazer lifted with some huge ass Toyo M/T's... the boss is searching for either an 84, or 85 lifted long bed square. He seen mine, and got a bug in his rear about getting one now..as a "project'

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:love51: awwwww.. you missed me! LOL

Hey, you got another 'Burb???? Duuuude, whats up with that?

Yah the rust got to bad to her and the DMV was riding my ass. I am very happy with this one and took major steps with the help of some here to avoid that issue again. :wave:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
ehhh.. it always ran a little rich anyway, I'll have to get to it though, eventually.

I decided to drive my truck this week, got her all washed up and everything, I got the guys at work all fired up for the classic trucks now. :happy160:

One dude is ressurecting a 64 C-10, another has bright orange 87 Blazer lifted with some huge ass Toyo M/T's... the boss is searching for either an 84, or 85 lifted long bed square. He seen mine, and got a bug in his rear about getting one now..as a "project'

Tell 'em to get on here and start some build threads! We wanna see! :hidesbehindsofa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbluesquare