Bucket Seat Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not going to take credit for this as I found it amongst my stumbles as I have discovered my seats well don't have any rails but I do have my old bench with the rails on it.

Watching this video series as long as you get bucket tracks from a Suburban all you are essentially doing is swapping the lower rails from the buckets and using the upper rails from the Suburban seats.

So now it'll be a trip to the junkyards to find another bench seat tracks and find a suburban with buckets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2eCln-32zg&index=1&list=WL

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Thanks for posting the vid's Curtis. They'll come in handy When the time comes to swap seats!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I have a bench seat in my 1990 Suburban and I am wanting to swap it out for some buckets. Does anyone know if the bucket seats that came in some of the square body burbs will bolt right up in mine?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a bench seat in my 1990 Suburban and I am wanting to swap it out for some buckets. Does anyone know if the bucket seats that came in some of the square body burbs will bolt right up in mine?

You will need the brackets that are welded to the floor of the donor vehicle for the front center hump area of the bucket seat mounts, or fab some up. They make up for about a 1 1/2" or so gap. And you will have to drill holes for the inner rear mounts but the bracket will match the floor nicely back there. All the outer holes should match. I removed the buckets out of my Burb and a bench seat bolted right in.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
That doesn't sound too bad. Still have those buckets, and feel like parting with them?! :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That doesn't sound too bad. Still have those buckets, and feel like parting with them?! :)

They already have a member's name on them, sorry! :sorry:

Those brackets are no big deal. I still have to cut mine out but when I do I will take pictures and measurements of them and post them up here. They can easily be fabbed out of heavy gauge sheet metal, that's all they are is stamped sheet metal with a nut welded on it.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
They already have a member's name on them, sorry! :sorry:

Those brackets are no big deal. I still have to cut mine out but when I do I will take pictures and measurements of them and post them up here. They can easily be fabbed out of heavy gauge sheet metal, that's all they are is stamped sheet metal with a nut welded on it.

That's cool. No worries...I figured they were either sitting in the garage for when you get tired of the bench seat, or they were already spoken for. I actually like my bench seat, but I am going to be installing a Ranger overdrive gear box in front of my SM465 and the shifter for my NP205 is going to end up under the bench. I figured the best thing to do was to throw some buckets in and maybe a center console so I can finally get some cup holders.

I'll be patiently waiting for pictures and measurements of the brackets.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's cool. No worries...I figured they were either sitting in the garage for when you get tired of the bench seat, or they were already spoken for. I actually like my bench seat, but I am going to be installing a Ranger overdrive gear box in front of my SM465 and the shifter for my NP205 is going to end up under the bench. I figured the best thing to do was to throw some buckets in and maybe a center console so I can finally get some cup holders.

I'll be patiently waiting for pictures and measurements of the brackets.

That's one of the other reasons I yanked the console because the cup holders are too small. They will hold a normal size can or cup but not a large mug or a can with a huggie on it. I been thinking about maybe modding them somehow without making it look like ****. And the seat backs on the buckets are too flimsy to me, I always feel like I am going to wind up in the back seat if I hit the gas too hard. But I do miss them, just for the sake of nostalgia and having something about the truck that is rare. You never know, they could wind up back in there some day if @bucket keeps them laying around here too long LOL.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
That's one of the other reasons I yanked the console because the cup holders are too small. They will hold a normal size can or cup but not a large mug or a can with a huggie on it. I been thinking about maybe modding them somehow without making it look like ****. And the seat backs on the buckets are too flimsy to me, I always feel like I am going to wind up in the back seat if I hit the gas too hard. But I do miss them, just for the sake of nostalgia and having something about the truck that is rare. You never know, they could wind up back in there some day if @bucket keeps them laying around here too long LOL.

Yeah, I hear ya on the center console. I will likely have to mod a console anyway to fit lengthwise because it will probably be in the way of the t-case shifter. As far as the flimsyness of the seats goes, I don't know that I really have another option without spending a boatload of money on newer style bucket seats, and some undesired extra figuring and fabrication time to make them work. This seems like the best/easiest option for me...unless I slide the bench seat all the way back and my legs grow considerably, lol. If you decide you don't want the console, and/or if Bucket decides he no longer wants those seats, please let me know. I would happily take them off your hands for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tirekicker310