Brrrrrrrrrrrr. My heat sucks! Opinions needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
So....I have an 82 shortbox 2wd 250ci 6 cylinder. Last year I froze my ass off all winter. Since last winter the following have been replaced:

Heater Core
Heater Hoses
Upper Radiator Hose
Thermostat (192)
Heater Control Panel
Water Pump.

Now if you let the truck sit there and idle with the heat on it will warm up a little bit. The temp of the heat coming out is luke warm at best. When I first replaced all those parts it had decent temp blowing out. when you start driving the temp of the air coming out drops way down to barely warmer then the air inside the cab itself. Heater hoses are hot going into the core. No blockages anywhere. Lower radiator hose is usually always cold along with that entire side of the radiator as well.

Any ideas? I don't have any carpets or insulation. I assume adding that would help out a little but it's not going to change the air temp coming from the heater. Is it just old technology and parts so I should just bundle up and deal with it? I am ready to buy a modern 4wd truck for the winter months and hot summer days (no AC and vinyl bench is unbareable..)

Help!!!!!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Hot/cold door and outside vs inside vacuum controlled doors might be at fault. What is your engine temp? There is a sticky with a lot of info nd pictures in this section

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What does your temp gauge say? Does it stay up to operating temperature?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Has the block been flushed? Water/coolant ratio correct? Good door seals?

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
The engine runs at normal operating temps. Door seals are in good shape. There is a small draft towards the rear of the drivers door but can only be felt between the door and the seat. Regardless that doesn't effect the temp of the heat coming out. Its borderline cold blowing out.

As far as vacuum operated doors etc I do not have any vacuum operated anything in my heater box. Period.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Block has been flushed and correct ratio and amount of coolant present.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Something isn't right. Maybe a loose blend door and air movement going down the road makes it open up?

I had a heat-only '79 with the 250, it was one of the best heaters I've had in a truck.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wonder if the blend door in the heater is fuctioning proprly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And do the lower side vents fully close?

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Lower side vents do fully close..nothing coming from there. When I had the heater box out to do the heater core I made sure everything was in working order and as far as I could tell everything was in fact functional. When you move the heater control to cold the air temp gets ice cold and warms up a little to luke warm when you move it to full hot.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
When the truck is fully warm, feel the heater hoses. If they are hot or not will point you where to look, inside the cab or inside the engine. It seems like it may need a hotter thermostat or lean out the idle air to put some heat in it. Should be able to pull the idle down just 50-150 rpm using idle air adjustment to lean out the carb a little, then bump the idle back up. It will make the plugs run cleaner.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Do you have both of your heater hoses running to the correct locations? IE the lower one to the radiator, and the upper one running to the block, and not the water pump? Sounds like to me, your truck is running fine, you just aren't getting the hot water into the cab.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Hoses are hooked up correctly and hot. Triple checking that the blend door is operating as it should be in a few mins. 98% sure it is

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Block off 3/4 of the grille surface with a piece of cardboard or plastic and see what happens. I have a piece of clear plexiglass I use. Every winter I put that on and tape the door vent's shut in the bottoms of the doors and it helps alot.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Block off 3/4 of the grille surface with a piece of cardboard or plastic and see what happens. I have a piece of clear plexiglass I use. Every winter I put that on and tape the door vent's shut in the bottoms of the doors and it helps alot.

This is good advice. I deleted the door vents in mine. I also use cardboard as a radiator cover when its really cold. My ecperience with straight sixes is that they don't heat real well to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507