Broken bolt = square paperweight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
One thing I forgot to mention, I also highly recommend good cobalt jobber drills in left hand twist in the following sizes, .201-3 13/64 for 1/4-20, .256 for 5/16-18, 5/16 for 3/8-16, will cover 90% of all bolt removal, and will often turn the broken bolt out after you begin to drill. Get a tap drill chart, it is useful, also a cutting speed chart.

wagner

Reaction score
First Name
peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
i have removed many broken studs of any size using arctec 60 ecoface 3/32 rods......create a dot on bolt center.....cool for 2 seconds and continue building straight up with more dots for 1/2 inch or more
smash a bigger nut onto the buildup and weld the nut......let it cool.....use penetrating fluid.......then heat the area around the stud .......work the nut back and forth .......take your time.....it's faster........this works in any position .......bigger rods for bigger bolts.... ecoface is very hard......80 to 90 amps for 3/32 rod

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
The way I have gotten things loose is to hit it with a torch to get it hot.
Then douse it in oil.
The heat will pull the oil down into the threads.
You can also use a paraffin candle to the same effect.
The candle is less smelly...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Haven't gotten it out but haven't made it any worse either. It sits as it was apart from some penetrating oil on the infected area.

For good or bad I don't have a welder or any easy outs. The manifold and bolts are from the previous owner. It has been regasketed already because the gobs of blue rtv they used were not sealing. The idea and all the work of pulling this intake again and putting a new one onto this oil burning son of a bitch was not the next step in the upgrade plans.

Thanks for the ideas and I do appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject. Just sort of in limbo weighing methods, parts costs and time/work to unbrick ol brown. Most routes at the moment aren't giving me that warm fuzzy feeling. :banghead:

Yeah but. You picked this hobby because you enjoy it so... Remember? This is what you do to relax...

Being a steel bolt in an aluminum manifold, that broke off instead of breaking loose, I personally would figure on a 0% chance of ever screwing it out. It will need to be re tapped at best, more than likely require a helicoil or insert. My guess is it was put in to tight and the alum threads are pulled a tick. You don't have anything to loose by drilling it out, get so far off that it cant be helicoiled or inserted (Can ream the holes in the cap/nipple if need be) the intake will be useless.....which is what it is now. Good luck!!

Uh huh. In my experience you might as well figure on a different manifold. I don't think its comin out either.

Y'all can debate speeds and feeds all ya want...mind you the clock is ticking. The point of spending too much time producing too little work passes quickly.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
As my technician often reminds me when I'm hesitant to tackle a project,...

"Remember, God hates a coward."

Sometimes you've just got to get the tools and parts together and take the leap. Getting started is usually the hardest step of all. So to quote a certain hockey mom, "Drill baby, drill."

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yeah but. You picked this hobby because you enjoy it so... Remember? This is what you do to relax...

Uh huh. In my experience you might as well figure on a different manifold. I don't think its comin out either.

Y'all can debate speeds and feeds all ya want...mind you the clock is ticking. The point of spending too much time producing too little work passes quickly.

Drilling and tapping is a 10 minute job, max. If a person has the tools to do it handy. My lathe has never had the rpm chart on it so I just fool with it till it cuts how I want it, do the same on my mills. But I'm just an old coonass not a machinist????

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Bit into the rotten apple. Couldn't procrastinate any more. Just have been waiting on parts for an update.

Without a welder and in no way wanting to pull this intake again I decided to drill. Went slow and tried to use the sharpest bits I could find around here. At one point I thought all had gone to hell and the bit had broken. I was using a larger bit at this point and even though I was going slow it instantly bound and snapped breaking the already broken bolt into two smaller pieces. One piece sticking to the drill bit and the other propelled further down into the hole. Dammit, this **** show took a weird lateral.

The lower broken piece was not receptive to anymore drilling at this point. It is a very surly bolt for sure, referred to as Mr. Surly from here on out. Went at it trying to dig out a couple more threads and clean out the threads I had uncovered. Learned I don't have the proper tools to do this so I grabbed a beer and got creative. Using a junk selection of picks, some plyers and the one good bolt which I cut a notch into making a makeshift tap/thread chaser. Hopefully I had opened up enough usable threads and with fingers crossed some new hardware would grab before bottoming out because Mr. Surly is still in there.

Went with a new housing, one that uses two short bolts. Truck doesn't need the tall and short housing mounts/bolts. It doesn't have that bracket the tall side of the housing and longer bolt are used with. Other housing was an o-ring style, this is a gasket housing and the one I went with is pretty substantial. Who knows, it may have been the reason the new hardware didn't bottom out.

Mr. Surly's better half, Mrs. Surly. At least she knew it was time to leave.
You must be registered for see images attach

Threads on the other side weren't in very good shape either. At least I didn't have to dig broken **** out of them though.

Even cleaned up a little of the funk, not to @Frankenchevy standards of course but it's ol brown, she might freak out and panic break something else with too much pampered treatment.

The players.

Back on the road and annoying each and every one of the senses.:burnout:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
seeing a stainless bolt threaded into an aluminum manifold makes me cringe, especially where coolant and temp cycles are involved... I hope you used a lot of anti-seize

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was gonna say shitcan it. Perfect opportunity for an LS swap. But then that new dizzy wouldn't fit the LS.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I was gonna say shitcan it. Perfect opportunity for an LS swap. But then that new dizzy wouldn't fit the LS.
Thats why he needs to L29 Swap it... all the benefits of an LS swap, but he can keep the dizzy

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Bit into the rotten apple. Couldn't procrastinate any more. Just have been waiting on parts for an update.

Without a welder and in no way wanting to pull this intake again I decided to drill. Went slow and tried to use the sharpest bits I could find around here. At one point I thought all had gone to hell and the bit had broken. I was using a larger bit at this point and even though I was going slow it instantly bound and snapped breaking the already broken bolt into two smaller pieces. One piece sticking to the drill bit and the other propelled further down into the hole. Dammit, this **** show took a weird lateral.

The lower broken piece was not receptive to anymore drilling at this point. It is a very surly bolt for sure, referred to as Mr. Surly from here on out. Went at it trying to dig out a couple more threads and clean out the threads I had uncovered. Learned I don't have the proper tools to do this so I grabbed a beer and got creative. Using a junk selection of picks, some plyers and the one good bolt which I cut a notch into making a makeshift tap/thread chaser. Hopefully I had opened up enough usable threads and with fingers crossed some new hardware would grab before bottoming out because Mr. Surly is still in there.

Went with a new housing, one that uses two short bolts. Truck doesn't need the tall and short housing mounts/bolts. It doesn't have that bracket the tall side of the housing and longer bolt are used with. Other housing was an o-ring style, this is a gasket housing and the one I went with is pretty substantial. Who knows, it may have been the reason the new hardware didn't bottom out.

Mr. Surly's better half, Mrs. Surly. At least she knew it was time to leave.

Threads on the other side weren't in very good shape either. At least I didn't have to dig broken **** out of them though.

Even cleaned up a little of the funk, not to @Frankenchevy standards of course but it's ol brown, she might freak out and panic break something else with too much pampered treatment.

The players.

Back on the road and annoying each and every one of the senses.:burnout:

So on these elderbrock intakes there is a relief machined/ casted under the threads? Interesting.Glad you got it done!!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
seeing a stainless bolt threaded into an aluminum manifold makes me cringe, especially where coolant and temp cycles are involved... I hope you used a lot of anti-seize

Why does stainless threaded into aluminum make you cringe?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Why does stainless threaded into aluminum make you cringe?

I wanna know too. Im about to use all stainless bolts in my build and quite a few of them screw into the aluminium manifold. I didnt know it was a thing

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s back to its life a farm/property truck. It’s dirty as hell with a summer’s worth of dirt, pollen and bird poo. I guess it’s about due for a squirt off before I tear it apart this winter for some work. If I’m honest, I’m looking forward to working on it again this winter.

Nice work on getting the bolt out. Broken bolts are a PITA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84