Brake Drum Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
My truck is still shaking, I narrowed it down to the rear end.... WIth the rear end of the truck on jackstands with the tires OFF the truck the drums are wobbling back and forth has anyone ever hurd of this issue?

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
see it the axle itself wobbles

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
The housing or the axle shafts?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Install three spacers on three of the lugnut studs, install three lugnuts to the three studs, tighten them down, see if they still shake, or wobble. unless this is a FF rear differential the hubs will not be properly retained, then spring clips from the factory is not enough.
If the wobble is still there, then I`d be suspecting a tweakeded axle shaft.
Remove the lug nuts and spacers, remove the braking drums, start Your enjun, put it into drive, observe the axle flange, does it wobble ????

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Install three spacers on three of the lugnut studs, install three lugnuts to the three studs, tighten them down, see if they still shake, or wobble. unless this is a FF rear differential the hubs will not be properly retained, then spring clips from the factory is not enough.
If the wobble is still there, then I`d be suspecting a tweakeded axle shaft.
Remove the lug nuts and spacers, remove the braking drums, start Your enjun, put it into drive, observe the axle flange, does it wobble ????

it is a corporate 14bff

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Take the drum off and see if the hub is wobbling

>edit<

Oops, full floater hmm...any play in the bearings when you shake it?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Take the drum off and see if the hub is wobbling

>edit<

Oops, full floater hmm...any play in the bearings when you shake it?

just retorqued the bearings still doing the same thing

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do you mean there is looseness in the drum (that you can wobble it with your hands)?

Or are you talking about runout (as the axle is rotated the drum can be seen to be moving in and out but it is still rigid to your hands)?

Is the motion in an up/down direction or does the drum appear to move in and out?

If you remount the tire and shake it - does it have play in any direction?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Do you mean there is looseness in the drum (that you can wobble it with your hands)?

Or are you talking about runout (as the axle is rotated the drum can be seen to be moving in and out but it is still rigid to your hands)?

Is the motion in an up/down direction or does the drum appear to move in and out?

If you remount the tire and shake it - does it have play in any direction?

Yes I would considered runout it happens when The truck is on jackstands and the truck is in gear.. it shakes pretty violently at forty mph

has no play in it..this is with the tires off

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The axle shafts are supported and stabilized by 2 sets of bearings:

The outer ones (located in the hubs) - wheel bearings. And an inner set (inside the differential where the axle shaft mates with the ring gear) - the carrier bearings.

Since you feel that the outer bearing sets are tight, the next step is to check the carrier bearings.

Drain the gear oil from the differential and remove the cover. You'll see where both shafts enter from the left and right. You'll also see the bearing caps that hold the carrier bearings in place. Here they are with the caps removed:

You must be registered for see images attach

With the rear end up on stands and the differential cover off, start the engine. Put the gear shift in drive and crank the idle up a bit. Go back and look inside the differential.

See if you can notice the ends of the axle shafts moving in any direction (other than rotating - duh). They should be stationary. Same goes for the carrier/ring gear assembly it should be rotating smoothly. Have an assistant rev the engine a bit to test at higher speed.

Don't worry about lack of lubrication , you can safely do this procedure for extended periods - as long as the wheels are up

Take your time and watch closely. Shift the transmission into reverse, watch for free play and then shift back to drive.

Any runout, wobbling, up/down or back/front movement is an indication that the bearings are played.

If everything seems tight - IDK.

Make sure you inspect the inner face of the drive shaft flange where it makes up to the brake drum and also check that the gasket is flat and smooth:

Both of these surfaces are designed to be machined flat and true. Any excessive rust/debris that gets between them will cause the drum/wheel/tire to run untrue.

Here is an exploded view of your axle:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
thank you for the help I have some disc brake parts on the way I will check this soon

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
so I rebuild rear end with disk brakes and a mag hytec cover looks badass but anyways truck shakes worse now go figure....turns out its the tires I guess the balancing beads I used weren't enough? I hope its not a cord..on my way to get them balanced will give update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef