Blower motor runs only on low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
With the relay plugged in, key on , I have 12 volts between the purple wire and the red...when the fan is switched to high speed....no power.

Those would be the expected (and correct) readings.

The red wire is straight from the battery positive and the purple wire goes to ground - by way of the blower motor windings. While in a non-high speed setting, the coil is de-energized position - refer to the dwgs at the end of this post. In that condition, the high speed contacts - the ones that connect the red wire (at terminal 2) to the purple wire (at terminal 65) are open.

So, because they are not connected when not using high speed, putting your probes on the red (at pin 2) and the purple (at pin 65), is essentially the same as putting one on the positive battery terminal and the other to the frame (or negative battery terminal). You would expect to see 12 VDC.

But, when you switch to high speed, the coil becomes energized by the orange wire. The relay pulls in and closes the pin 2 to pin 1 contacts. So now, what you basically have is, the battery positive connected to the blower motor - by a single lead. It may change colors (from red to purple) along the way, but schematically speaking, it is just one wire.

A voltmeter works by measuring the difference in electrical potential between two separate points in a circuit. And by "separate", they don't mean just two different spots on the same wire. There has to be something in between the measured points that causes the potential energy on one side to be lower/higher than the other side.

I have conductivity between alternate contacts, but NOT between the red (power in) and the purple. Is it the new relay thats bad?

As noted above, the won't (or shouldn't) be continuity between pins 2 & 65 - unless there is power on the system and the blower speed switch is set to high. Then, if those two conditions are met, the coil will pull in and pin 2 will be connected to pin 65. But, because it will then be a hot wire, you would not be able to test for continuity across the 2/1 contacts anyway. To confirm proper relay operation, just put your black probe to ground and - using the red probe - check for full battery voltage in on 2 and out on 65. If you find that there is voltage on both sides of the contacts, the coil and contacts are okay.

I noticed that the metal contact for high speed position was cooked and discolored. Im wondering if possibly a bad wire somewhere under the dash?

I seem to recall quite a few stories and questions about the high speed contacts in the fan speed switches failing. If your high speed contacts were as bad as you describe, I don't think you have to even look elsewhere for a bad wire. If they looked anything like the switch shown here:

You must be registered for see images attach

That may well be the reason why you don't get high speed blower operation. Excessive resistance across the high speed contacts in the blower speed switch. The voltage to the blower for high speed doesn't come from the speed select switch - it comes from the junction block, to pin 2 on the red wire, through the high speed contacts (2/1), out of the relay at terminal 65 and then over to the blower on the purple wire.

The speed select switch only supplies the control voltage to the positive leg of relay's operating coil. That control voltage - to the positive leg of the coil - comes in on the orange wire that connects to terminal 52. Terminal 52 is then internally connected to pin 3. And, the only time the coil is energized is when the blower speed switch is in the high position. Maybe the high speed contacts in your speed select switch are so carboned up, that they are not allowing enough power on the orange wire to enable the coil to pull in (and make contact between pins 2 & 1).

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams marked up to show current flow for both the high speed and non-high speed operation. Because all your reduced speeds/voltages are working okay, the text for non- high speed operation doesn't get into how the variable voltage generated. It simply says that the output from the resistors is variable, comes in on the dark blue lead (which feeds pin 5) and is is regulated by the resistor stack.

Non- high speed operation:

High speed:

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for your informative reply. As I continue to scratch my head and try to reason with my square....

...New speed selector switch installed

..new relay installed (covered by warranty anyways, so they swapped it for a new, unopened and sealed container)....

And still no high speed operation. I am next going to look for a shorted wire from the selector switch high contact in the dash. Too hot today (114 degrees) so I will give it a break for now. Is there also a way to check the fan motor...maybe its bad and drawing too many amps causing the high speed wire terminal to cook?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
you shouldn't be replacing parts that are not the problem. follow the trouble shooting flow charts. it's a lot cheaper in the long run. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you have power on the red lead at the relay connector, and the lower speeds all work, that only leaves the coil circuit as a possible cause for no high speed.

It could be the coil itself is bad (but that's doubtful - you've already changed it), or there is no voltage being applied on the orange wire when the switch is in high, or the negative leg of the coil doesn't have continuity to ground.

Did you check the ground wire that comes out of the relay? The coil has to be grounded for it to pull in - and close the high speed contacts. The operation of the coil doesn't matter with all the other speeds. Because the other speeds all go through the NC contacts, they will run the fan whether or not the coil is functional.

There should be two ground leads secured to the terminal screw in the upper right hand corner of the fan housing. One is the blower ground and the other is the ground for the negative leg of the high speed coil.

Check that the black wire has continuity from the relay to that screw.

Then check again, that with the blower speed switch in high - there is power on the orange wire where it enters the relay.

There is power on the red wire at the relay right? And since all the other speeds work, you know that the purple wire from the relay to the motor is good.

Try running a jumper from the junction block (or any other 12 volt source) to the orange lead where it connects to the relay at terminal 52.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
you shouldn't be replacing parts that are not the problem. follow the trouble shooting flow charts. it's a lot cheaper in the long run. highdesertranger

All of the parts were replaced not only in troubleshooting, but also since they were in old/worn shape. Spending $10 -switch (the tip was broken off by p.o.), $7 - relay and $15 for a rusty resistor that was 30 plus years old....won't break the bank. The p.o. did a hack job electrically when he attempted to rebuild this truck.....so just covering the bases here.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I'm by no means an auto mechanic but I have worked on electrical equipment for 40+ years and one thing comes to mind that I haven't seen mentioned. You say that the high speed part of the switch was discolored and cooked. Did you happen to check the wire harness connector that hooks to the switch? It could have some carbon build up from the bad connection and is not making good contact. I know this sounds "out of the ordinary" but take a set of nail or toe clippers that have a file in them and clean out the female contacts on the harness connector. At the same time make sure that the female contacts are close enough together to actually make contact with the male connection on the switch. It's a long shot but I've seen it more than once. What have you got to lose, right?

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
^^^^Thanks for your input, never hurts to check. I thought that the contact behind the switch may have been bad/loose as well. Cleaned, re-crimped to make sure it has good contact...and still NO high speed.

I have given up for now. The truck sits more than being driven. With it 110 plus outside, I don't have the energy to troubleshoot. The dash has been completely apart and I'm beginning to wonder if a wire is missing from the harness. There are more contacts on the speed switch than wires in the back of the blower speed connector.Does this even sound correct??? This kinda makes sense to me. The cab, motor, transmission and fuel system is out of an 87...the frame is an 84. Is it remotely possible that the 1984 wiring is different from the 87 for the ac control?
I am going to trace out the wires and see what if any are missing from the switch connection.

I dunno....at this point it's just plain driving me nuts.

Last edited:

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
If I lived closer I'd come help ya, but I think you've solved your problem when you say there are more contacts on the speed selector switch than wires on the connector. According to the above diagram you should have 4 wires on the connector: Blue, Orange, Tan, and Brown/White. Since the Orange wire is high speed fan then that would be the one missing. You should also see the Orange wire at the connector for the relay unless the connector is aftermarket in which case it could be Black, Gray, or White, depending on the manufacturer. If it's at one connector and not the other then the missing wire is the cause of your problem.

Last edited:

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
The speed switch connector should look like this

Attachments

• HP4360_PRIMARY.jpg
    HP4360_PRIMARY.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

AmyWarhol

Reaction score
First Name
Amy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Same problem!

Hi there - I am just checking in to see if you figured out what the problem was. I have the same issue, no high speed for the fan. I replaced the blower motor (it made a lot of noise anyway) and the speed selection switch. My buddy tested connections for me and said that was the problem. However, it did nto fix the issue. I guess the next step is the relay... But, just checking in.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi there - I am just checking in to see if you figured out what the problem was. I have the same issue, no high speed for the fan. I replaced the blower motor (it made a lot of noise anyway) and the speed selection switch. My buddy tested connections for me and said that was the problem. However, it did nto fix the issue. I guess the next step is the relay... But, just checking in.

Nothing has changed...still no high speed

AmyWarhol

Reaction score
First Name
Amy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Relay

Well, I changed the relay today even though my buddy tested it and said it was good. It worked. I have high speed. Good luck!

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well..I have replaced the relay TWICE...still no high speed

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did you confirm that there is continuity from pin 4 at the relay to ground - via the black wire?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did you confirm that there is continuity from pin 4 at the relay to ground - via the black wire?

Yep. Checked and verified...still no high speed. We had to use the medium speed last night while on the way to a carshow...it sucks when it's 102 at 7pm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl