Bleeding a power steering system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just installed a new p/s pump and a new pressure line on my 86 K10. I filled the reservoir, lifted the front wheels and turned the wheels from lock to lock, a couple dozen times. However, I did this with the engine off. After several cycles of turning the wheel, it started to spit p/s fluid out of the pressure line where it goes into the pump. I removed the pump and the line to make sure there was nothing in or on the threads and checked the pressure line end to make sure it was clean. Reinstalled it, made extra sure it was straight and then tightened it down, making sure there was no bind on the hose or anything else. Bolted everything back up, filled with fluid, lifted the wheels and proceeded to turn the wheels from lock to lock another couple dozen times, again with the engine off and it began to spit fluid out the same place.

After hours of frustration, I started to question the method I was using and found online where it is recommended to have the engine on while bleeding the system. Was I simply building up pressure in the line with the engine off which finally caused the fluid to leak?

:confused::emotions122:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It would seem so. I haven't needed to look up the bleed procedure on my truck yet, but all the cars I did at the dealership called for the engine to be running.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
The initial bleed should be with the tires off the ground and engine off. After bleeding with the engine off, start the engine and bleed some more. Regardless of how you do it, it shouldn't be spitting fluid out of the pressure hose connection. Maybe you cross threaded the fitting on your hose/pump connection, or, you have the wrong pressure hose.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
You probably fixed this already but theres an o ring that fits on there u maybe missing or split it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000