Black stone oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Got an oil analysis done by black stone labs

I lose about 6 -8 oz coolant over 6 months. 350 4 bolt mains 1 piece rear seal stock except for the Alumium intake. I lose 6 - 8 oz of coolant over 6 months

Truck runs 1 needle width below in winter and 1 above in summer here in Ga

Vacuum gauge reads 19 inches at idle gauge calibrated at sea level and I am 895 feet above. Gauge is rock steady

Plugs look ok. Left bottom is #2 right bottom is #1 and up same as installed in the engine

I have not done a compression test

This motor was purchased from a junk yard about 15 years ago. I took off the heads and had them
Redone, replaced timing gears, chain, oil pump, and added mad 6a box and pro billet distributor

I did not put any sealant on the head bolts when I put the heads back on. How likely is it that the source of my coolant leak is a result of that lack of sealant?

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
That is a concern, but may not be solely the only problem unfortunately. 15 years is a long time ago and if it started immediately it wouldn't have lasted this long.
It won't last alot longer if you keep driving it tho' !
Antifreeze is like fine dirt in the bearings, and you can bet they're hurt now.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
Got an oil analysis done by black stone labs

I lose about 6 -8 oz coolant over 6 months. 350 4 bolt mains 1 piece rear seal stock except for the Alumium intake. I lose 6 - 8 oz of coolant over 6 months

Truck runs 1 needle width below in winter and 1 above in summer here in Ga

Vacuum gauge reads 19 inches at idle gauge calibrated at sea level and I am 895 feet above. Gauge is rock steady

Plugs look ok. Left bottom is #2 right bottom is #1 and up same as installed in the engine

I have not done a compression test

This motor was purchased from a junk yard about 15 years ago. I took off the heads and had them
Redone, replaced timing gears, chain, oil pump, and added mad 6a box and pro billet distributor

I did not put any sealant on the head bolts when I put the heads back on. How likely is it that the source of my coolant leak is a result of that lack of sealant?
6 to 8 OZ in 6 months is considered a leak? I doubt lack of sealant by itself would cause a leak into the oil. What COULD be the problem is one slightly loose head bolt under the valve cover could have a tiny steam leak. Another potential area, if you have a V8 and not a 6, is the water cross-over in the intake manifold. You could have a tiny water leak at one or both water ports in each head. That is an area that should have sealer used.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Michael, thanks for the reply!

I did not retorque the head bolts after the install nor did I use sealant on the intake anywhere except the front and back in lieu of gaskets

I will address those areas after doing due diligence with a compression test

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Does look like there is some coolant in the oil. Is this the first oil change on your build? How many miles are on the oil? If it's the first change, I would drain the oil and run it again for a few thousand miles and retest. It may be from some drips getting into the oil pan when you pulled the heads and intake rather than an actual leak.

Coolant in the oil isn't going to show up on the plugs or cause a hotter running condition.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
+1 on Turbo Dog's question and reply.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Turbo Dog,

Redone, replaced timing gears, chain, oil pump, and added MSD 6a box and pro billet distributor

oil had +~- 7500 miles, shell rotella, where I captured some for the sample at my normal oil and filter change. I have changed oil a lot in the past 15 years even though I have only driven +~- 1000 miles per year up until I retired last January

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Ok, we can rule out my suggestion since the oil has been changed multiple times. I've never put sealant on head bolts and I don't think they go into the water jacket. Do they? My next thought would be to reseal the intake manifold. And yes, do use sealant (I like the red or black silicone stuff) around all the water passages and ends of the manifold. I like to put some on the head, then lay the gasket in place lightly and coat the other side of the gasket that will mate with the intake manifold then allow some time for the sealant to thicken. Maybe 10 minutes or so. No need to use tons of sealant, but just be sure it makes a continuous bead.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Haven't checked, but I'll bet dang near all of the head bolts hit coolant!!!

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
After I do the compression test I will pull head bolts one at a time in torture sequence, seal, and run a while

I’ll use this as an excuse to build another engine

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Ok, please be sure to post your results so we can all learn something. Good luck!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm not sure about the SBC, but I'm positive the BBC are all into the coolant passages and require sealant. Similarly, most of the intake bolts run into the valley and should also have thread sealant to prevent oil and vacuum leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04