Best tire on a budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Yep and they’re something like which is a big reason why I went with them. And the tread pattern is pretty decent
Sounds like your luck is better than mine i bought a set once and only got 20,000 out of them before they were slick.
Their implements tires are ok though.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you go Douglas (Walmart exclusive brand but buy them and have someone else mount them), those go up to P215, and they’re made in the U.S. of A. I’d stick with whatever the door sticker says, probably P225 or 235, and in those sizes a Firestone might be pretty affordable if you get it from the Wawa and take it to your tire shop of choice. Hankook and Goodyear Wranglers are generally affordable, as well.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
austinado you are right on the used tire thing if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Pretty easy to read the date on the tires and make sure you’re not buying old ones.
I’ve saved probably thousands over the years with used tires. And if they’re not cheap enough that you can afford to get a bad tire and still be money ahead then don’t buy.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
235/75R15 in a Falken Wildpeak AT3.

If you dont need AT tread, but simply HT or regular tire tread like a car, then Uniroyal tigerpaw in similar size.

Dont recommend starfire tires unless in AT. They are cheap tires, you get what you pay for. But the HT/Regular tread just.. not as good.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OP, are your rims 15x6 or 7?
For what little you drive, even if the tires are a bit wide for the rims, not like you’ll wear them out.
I’d be slapping some 245-265 wide tires on those rims. $100 a piece will get you a nice set Of 245-60-15 tires on Amazon.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yep and they’re something like which is a big reason why I went with them. And the tread pattern is pretty decent
my experience with goodyear wranglers... junk.. but i am judging a low end tire by its ability to perform out of its expected range(P rated, not even C rated) and after sitting on a truck for about 6 years outside. They were stiff, no traction, and started having bulging. 2012 tires based on date. had a lot of patches for some reason. they dont even bounce when you throw em.

But for the same general cost i got a lot nicer tread tire that has been immensely better, i would need to buy 2 wranglers to compare new to new.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
austinado you are right on the used tire thing if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Pretty easy to read the date on the tires and make sure you’re not buying old ones.
I’ve saved probably thousands over the years with used tires. And if they’re not cheap enough that you can afford to get a bad tire and still be money ahead then don’t buy.
sadly the only used tire place round here wont sell outright. will only sell if you mount with em.

fb usually has good deals if you need some tires. But of course, need to know how to read the DOT and inspect the tire(which im sure you do).
If you got those and a tire tread gauge, fb can be gold.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
They suck though... The A/T are crappy in snow and goodyears wear out WAY too quickly. Just an opinion.
Shared. ZERO ability in snow after 6 years but not much tread wear. 1000 pounds over rear tires is JUST enough to get some periodic traction in my experience

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not a fan of used tires. A) they're old, so the rubber compound and the internal belts and structure are aging. B) They've been run in an unknown direction, causing the belts and structure to sort of settle into a certain "shape" if you will. So you pop them on, and start driving on them, and you probably aren't going to get lucky and have them rolling in the same direction they were previously run in, and so pretty soon you get tires that won't hold a balance, hop and cause the steering wheel or your seat to vibrate, and in extreme cases, will actually break a belt internally, and have a bulge...and maybe even blow out, especially in summer heat on hot pavement.

IMO, spend your money once, spend it right, and buy a decent set of new tires. You don't have to go out and get Michelins or Toyos for $200ea, but in the 15" "normal" tire sizes, I'm sure you can get something nice for between $75 and $100ea. Read your specs (why I like www.tirerack.com) and purchase something with a high tread wear rating and a quiet tread pattern with good side venting so they shed water well and don't hydroplane, and you'll be very happy with the purchase. They'll last you years if you rotate them every 3,000mi (front to back only), get a front end alignment done at time of install, and keep them aired up properly.

Tires aren't a waste of money. They're an investment in safety and vehicle longevity.
Ive run into this with my car. Cooper Discoverer Winter (i think) on my original rims and Goodyear assurance Weatherready for summer on new wheels. I got both sets of tires half off retail(insane ad, + rebates) and based on how i drive and how i switch for bad weather, I will be driving on these sets for a long time and i of course keep the pressures good and try not to hit stuff lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Rolling in the same direction? Lol
Unless directional tires, they roll the opposite direction every time they get rotated side to side.
I’m glad folks don’t like used tires. Wish more didn’t like used vehicles either, = more deals for those of us that do.
Regarding winter traction. Totally not Germaine to the OPs thread, pretty much any tire with good tread depth benefits greatly from siping the treads. It’ll turn a poor or marginal tire into a good or great snow tire.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you are buying for the street on a stock truck, it is hard to beat commercial tires. These could cost $150 apiece + m&b, but they will drive more miles than any other tires. They will drive on dirt roads, but are not offroad tires.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When I needed tires a couple years ago, I needed the cheapest ones I could get. I was in a money crunch and one tire developed a bulge. The rest were dry rotted. Anyway, I got a set of sailun terramax HT, 31 10.50 since I have a 4x4. They have actually been really good tires. They’ve taken me everywhere I needed to go, plenty of highway miles and still have at least 50% tread. And I gave $470 out the door. So your size should be less. Just another option, that I’ve been really happy with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad