Best battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For $300 it better do something.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, that Wally World battery I bought for $94 just a few months ago is 1000 CA battery, just not CCA. The CCA was 800.

And it's a 5 year warranty battery, First 3 years non prorated.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My napa battery is 1050 ca and idr but like 850 to 900 cca

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The answer to question number 2 for me would be Costco. You can return the battery for a new one, whenever you want, as many times as you want, no questions asked. They’re around $100, and it will never be paid for again. I swap the batteries in my work vehicles every winter. Every time, I carry one in and they hand me a new one with a smile. No paperwork or questions...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
best battery in my opinion would be what ever is reasonable (~$100) and occasional maintenance with a battery desulfator. If I can bring back an 8 yr old battery that wouldn't take a standard charge using the $90 charger/desulfator below.....I'm sold. Let alone the lawn mower batteries I've done.

http://www.batteryminders.com/avoid-battery-sulfation/

http://www.batteryminders.com/2012-12-volt-desulfating-battery-charger-worldwide-use

And that's a whole other topic too. That would make a good thread here you know. How to desulfate a battery, or maintain them etc, HINT HINT !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The answer to question number 2 for me would be Costco. You can return the battery for a new one, whenever you want, as many times as you want, no questions asked. They’re around $100, and it will never be paid for again. I swap the batteries in my work vehicles every winter. Every time, I carry one in and they hand me a new one with a smile. No paperwork or questions...
So is this a program they have or you just take it back because you can whether it's bad or not? Or does it go bad every year? If someone wanted to, they could the same at Walmart too, but if you're going to do that, why not do it every 2 or 3 years depending on the warranty? As said normally when I or a tow bros needed a battery, we just go out to the auction pile and look at batteries looking for a Never Start with a mfr date sticker less than 2 years old for standard Ever Start, or 3 years old for a Ever Start Maxx, take it to Walmart and have a brand new battery with a new 2 or 3 year warranty. It might have been a good battery, we don't know, but it's usually deader than a doornail when it's been sitting in a car 3-6 months and may have had a dome light or something left on.

The Ever Start Maxx in my C20 is a 2011 battery and I've let that truck sit at my dads over 6 months before and to my surprise, it started just fine. My dad shakes his head cuz he lets his truck sit for 10 days or more and it won't start and he's replaced the batteries about every 3 years. I finally have him convinced when you have a 2 battery system, you need to replace the batteries as a pair at the same time with exact alike batteries.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So is this a program they have or you just take it back because you can whether it's bad or not? Or does it go bad every year? If someone wanted to, they could the same at Walmart too, but if you're going to do that, why not do it every 2 or 3 years depending on the warranty? As said normally when I or a tow bros needed a battery, we just go out to the auction pile and look at batteries looking for a Never Start with a mfr date sticker less than 2 years old for standard Ever Start, or 3 years old for a Ever Start Maxx, take it to Walmart and have a brand new battery with a new 2 or 3 year warranty. It might have been a good battery, we don't know, but it's usually deader than a doornail when it's been sitting in a car 3-6 months and may have had a dome light or something left on.

The Ever Start Maxx in my C20 is a 2011 battery and I've let that truck sit at my dads over 6 months before and to my surprise, it started just fine. My dad shakes his head cuz he lets his truck sit for 10 days or more and it won't start and he's replaced the batteries about every 3 years. I finally have him convinced when you have a 2 battery system, you need to replace the batteries as a pair at the same time with exact alike batteries.
You could take it back after 2-3 years, too...bad or not, they don’t test it and don’t care. It’s been my experience at Walmart that they pro rate anything under the warranty and after they pro rate your original purchase, they don’t pro rate the replacement. At Costco, you can replace the battery an unlimited amount of times with just one purchase. The guy in the tire center just said mark you calendar for every 42 months and keep bringing it back at that interval. I just do it often so I don’t forget.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never had and never heard of anyone having a problem exchanging a battery at Walmart. The batteries have a 3 year warrant for the cheaper line, 2 years NON PRORATED, then 1 year additional that is Pro Rated. The MAXX batteries get a 5 year warranty, first 3 being NON PRORATED. So long as you take in before the 2 year or the 3 year then you're good to go, and they will go off the manufacture date sticker which is also included in the serial # if you don't have a receipt. This is who we get batteries exchanged out of unclaimed impounds that are auction cars.

I could see someone taking advantage of the warranty and getting a new battery, but to do it every year is a bit much. If it's a 3 year non prorated, I'd look at something like 2.5 years or so. Enough people do that, then warranty periods start getting shrunk and also part of what runs prices up. The battery manufactures have to make money too and if everyone did that, then they wouldn't be making any money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising