Barn door won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XP29L

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
What am I missing guys? My new-to-me '77 K10 Suburban won't open the barn doors. I have the access panel off the inside of the right door. I see the plate the button rod pushes on. It is stuck "pressed", even though the button has retracted. The rods seem to be in the "pulled" position, but the latches don't release. Any tips? Good pics? Common issue?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So it's unlocked, all the linkages are connected and not bent and working as they should but the latch itself just won't release from around the striker? Sounds like the latch is just stuck. I wouldn't say it's specifically a common issue to squares, that's common with any old vehicle really. Try spraying it down with a good penetrant oil of your choice (kroil, pb blaster, WD40 if that's all you have laying around, etc), let it soak in for a while and work it around till it frees up. If it's all full of gunk you're gonna want to spray it down with brake/carb cleaner and get all the grime out of it, and spray it with lithium once it's clean and dry. Should be good to go.

If it's really rusted up, in addition to the oil try hitting it a couple times (just don't bend it), heat it a little if need be. Just treat it as any moving part that's seized up. If it's real bad and you can't clean it up at all, once you get it open you'll probably want to replace it. Even if you do free it up some and get it working, if it's that bad you're better off getting a new one because it will forever be a problem.

Last edited:

XP29L

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
So that's all there is to it, ight? The button pushes that plate which pulls the rods on the pivot?

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Yes they are just stuck. Every barn door Suburban I've bought for parts always had a stuck latch.
Just spray it real good and try to jar the latches with a large screwdriver (carefully).

XP29L

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
All good. Grabbed the push-plate from inside with channel locks and gave it a little love. Opened right up.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris