Baldwin Engine Oil Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

51stovebolt

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gentlemen,

I've recently done some digging on oil filters options for a small block. As we use Baldwin at work, that is what brand I started with. Here are the technical specs for a few popular options.

You must be registered for see images attach

A few general comments:
B1428 (crosses to K&N HP-3002 and AC Delco PF1218) has an anti-drainback valve (none of the others do). That is only needed if the oil filter is horizontal. Most small blocks have vertical filters and thus do not require this feature. It has the same media as the B6-HPG (high performance glass), which would catch the most debris. Is also has the smallest media area, which means it will fill up faster. My price: $2.95

B6 (crosses to AC Delco PF35) this appears to be the standard oil filter recommended for small blocks. It is very similar to the B1428, with slightly more media area and slightly less restrictive (looser weave if you will). My price: $3.07

B6-MPG similar to B1428, just more media area. My price: $8.15

B7 is the largest filter housing (and media area) in case you needed added oil capacity. It also has the most open (least restrictive) media, so doesn't catch as much debris as the other filters. My price: $5.61

For my purposes, I will probably use the B1428 as it has the tightest media. I will probably send the first filter or two to Baldwin for analysis to confirm that I am not filling it up with debris and causing the bypass to open. But, I am not too worried as it carries nearly the same debris capacity.

Will

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Thanks for posting that. I've been using the large (long) one that NAPA sells, for a couple years now, just to get more oil capacity. I wonder what it's micron size is, as compared to the B7 you list there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo