Bad Thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty1

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C10 SWB
Engine Size
Was working on my truck today and got a few things squared away. Took it out for a drive and when I got home there was little bit of steam coming out from under the hood. The upper hose was hot,the radiator was hot but the lower radiator hose was cool to the touch. Bad Stat? Bad water pump? Clogged radiator? I'm hoping stat.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Where was the steam coming from? The overflow tank?

Rusty1

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C10 SWB
Engine Size
seemed to be from the cap. wasn't alot. I just let it run for about 10 to 15 min with the cap off. No flow. Just alot of burps. Air Lock?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Pull the thermostat and run it and see if it stays cool. If the system keeps filling with air it could be a bad head gasket or cracked head. Cheapest and first thing to check is the thermostat. That will also allow you to check for flow in the radiator with the t-stat pulled. Water pump going bad usually leaks out the pee hole. Never heard of an impeller falling off the shaft, not to say it doesn't happen, just unlikely IMO. I suppose you don't have a pressure tester?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns