Axle Tube Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Hi Guys,
It looks like my front and rear diffs are both leaking where the axle tubes are welded to the differential center. Is this a common leak area? Truck was a one owner, never abused, with very little off road use. So I think I can rule out bent axle tubes.
Your thoughts?
Greg

gazooba

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Heavy Half
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure the tubes are just pressed into the differential housing on mine... Wondering if your diff was modified, maybe the weld was trying to stop a leak in the first place.

Can you pinpoint the spot where the leak is? How bad is the leak anyway?

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Mine does to its just wet not dripping. Some dust collects on it and you can see it. No big deal for me. Is yours dripping or the same as i described.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I TIG welded the tubes to my housing for more strength, and just because I could.

It leaks from one of the plug welds through the housing itself. I didn't think to re-weld those. Big fatty blob of silicone seals it for now.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
The tubes only have the spot weld from the factory. They seem to be leaking pretty much all the way around the tubes. Pressure washed them clean yesterday. And yes, they're leaking enough that they actually have a drip.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This usually happens with jumped or overloaded trucks. The problem you'll run into is the tubes are steel but the pumpkin is pig iron. You'll have to use a high-nickel welding rod and cool the weld very slowly. You can spot weld a little at a time letting the weld cool after each spot, and not have to get into heat blankets and getting the torch out. Once oil gets in the joint that also makes it more difficult to weld. Usually a torch is used to burn all the oil out of the bare case before you start, and preps the 2 different metals for welding. Even though you say it isn't bent, it can be bent just very slightly a few ten-thousandths of an inch and you wouldn't be able to tell without a jig and micrometer, but it would be enough to allow oil to seep through. In my opinion it is a thousand times less work to just find another 14 bolt full-floater with the same gear ratio for around $150 and slap it in. I actually need to do this on mine as well. Someone tried to weld mine before I got it and the weld is broken from the pumpkin all the way around and oil coming from it.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice, but if I get another differential I could run the same risk of leaks as this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lepak