automatic transmission column selector/lever not locking into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So the shift lever was working properly before I removed a 1 1/4 transfer case spacer (another story). When the shift lever is in park I can simply tap the arm and it moves to reverse (with the ignition turned on). The shift lever does not need to be pulled back to move it to reverse. I immediately realized that I needed to adjust the shift rod from the column to the the transmission when I started it and it went into reverse all by itself. I loosened the rod at the transmission but still cannot get the shift lever to lock into park. I took a picture of the column from the engine bay, it looks to me like that bracket that the rod attaches to is not going all the way. the shift lever was in the park position when I took this picture. Another observation is if the shift lever is in park and I turn the ignition off it locks the shift lever. So my question is how bad did I mess something up? I did take 2 videos but I dont know how to upload them :(

You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Try taking the cotter pin out and verifying column operation without the linkage hooked up.

If it locks and acts like it should then you have an adjustment issue on the rod.

Seems like there is a locknut where the shift lever goes to the transmission that should give you some adjustment possibilities.

Now, if that spacer being gone does not give you enough rod to work with anymore, then other than putting it back on the only thing I can think of is lengenthing it.

Does your rig have a body lift ?

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I did loosen the rod adjustment at the transmission so the rod is not interfearing. That is what makes me think the problem is in the column, maybe where the arrow in the pictire is pointing? It looks to my unexperienced eye that the lever on the steering column is not going all the way to park?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Can you rotate the rod all the way up from the engine side ?
That rod attaches to the shift bowl, which on the older trucks is pot metal.

Cant say I have seen it, but if the bowl wore out or broke I guess it could cause that.

Is the ignition switch adjusted correctly?

Does the accessory position work ?

I would lean towards simple things first.

Oh - meant to say that with the ignition in the off position the column shift should be locked.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Can you rotate the rod all the way up from the engine side ?
That rod attaches to the shift bowl, which on the older trucks is pot metal.
I cannot move/rotate the piece that the rod attaches to the column any farther up. The picture shows it as far up as I can move it with the rod disconnected from the transmission. it acts like it either is not going up far enough OR what ever should lock it in park is broke?

Is the ignition switch adjusted correctly?
yes

Does the accessory position work ?
Yes

Oh - meant to say that with the ignition in the off position the column shift should be locked.
Yes, with the ignition in the off position the column shifter is locked.

I am starting to believe that when I raised the transfer case 1 1/4" (to remove the drop down) the rod jammed or broke something in the column. I have never had a column apart BUT I have a feeling im going to this winter :(

I certainly appreciate your help

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The only other thought that comes to mind is that the shafts inside the column are designed to collapse in a crash and have plastic shear pins to allow that to occur.

IF somehow the shift tube got twisted and broke those it could move out of alignment.

There is also a metal shift gate that the end of the shift lever follows that I guess could be buggered.

Hard to internet diagnose.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The only other thought that comes to mind is that the shafts inside the column are designed to collapse in a crash and have plastic shear pins to allow that to occur.

IF somehow the shift tube got twisted and broke those it could move out of alignment.

There is also a metal shift gate that the end of the shift lever follows that I guess could be buggered.

Hard to internet diagnose.

Attachments

• 20220803_204118.jpg
    20220803_204118.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pistol85