Automatic Transmisison Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

How do you feel that performs? I've always heard that the stacked plate design, like the ones in my photo (the one on the driver's side is the factory engine oil cooler) are more efficient.

Added one like this from Hayden following the advice from the guy that rebuilt my TH350. That was over 200K miles ago. Same as HotRodPC showed earlier.

You can also add one of those little PS coolers from a furd to your power steering to keep it running cooler. Works great if you also have hydroboost brakes.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Added one like this from Hayden following the advice from the guy that rebuilt my TH350. That was over 200K miles ago. Same as HotRodPC showed earlier.

You can also add one of those little PS coolers from a furd to your power steering to keep it running cooler. Works great if you also have hydroboost brakes.

Which port on the radiator cooler did you attach the pressure (hot fluid) line from the trans ??

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'll have to go look but if I remember correctly, tranny to lower radiator, upper radiator to extra cooler then, extra cooler back to tranny.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I am guessing by using the lower port for the hot fluid, it gets hit with a (sort of) blast of the coolest coolant first, hopefully helping drop the trans fluid temp the most and quickest.
At least that's how i calculate it using theory and common sense.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I am guessing by using the lower port for the hot fluid, it gets hit with a (sort of) blast of the coolest coolant first, hopefully helping drop the trans fluid temp the most and quickest.
At least that's how i calculate it using theory and common sense.

Actually the way it works is that by the hot tranny fluid going "against the grain" meaning bottom to top in the radiator, it has more cooling fluid going past it to do what its supposed to do. That is carry away the heat.
If it runs "with the grain" or top to bottom in the radiator the hot tranny fluid has the cooling water flowing with it and retaining more heat instead of wisking it away. It will still cool it but not nearly as efficiently.

Hope that makes some sense.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Since I drive on the street only occasionally, now less than some years ago when I drove mostly during early evening and night, I don't really need the extra cooling, if any, through the radiator first then the aux. cooler.
All that was considered when I was rebuilding my truck and the after market cooler was being set up. I decided to not run it through the radiator first because I felt the radiator is hot to begin with and all that running it through the radiator first was going to do was keeping the trans fluid hot longer due to not that much heat from the fluid was going to be pulled from it in the hot radiator.
I bought a 32,000 lb. cooler because it was recommended I run that size for my type of performance engine, and many racers used that size. I have yet to plumb my trans. temp. gauge in yet and need to since I just had my trans. overhauled at 165K miles. My first overhaul was when the trans. was factory and it was at 191K, and I know I have used this truck much, much more and harder than the first owner did.
So, I figured it has done pretty well with the cooler hooked up the way I have it. I don't tow, and there are no hills anywhere around where I live. I suppose following the book suggestion on plumbing the cooler lines up the way @HotRodPC indicates would be fine depending on how the truck is to be used. No one ever rides in the truck with me and all I have in it is a small tool box and some stuff under the seat. I spend most all my driving a low street speed and no highway driving, and if I do it's for a very short distance and at speeds under 60 mph. Sounds boring doesn't it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Since I drive on the street only occasionally, now less than some years ago when I drove mostly during early evening and night, I don't really need the extra cooling, if any, through the radiator first then the aux. cooler.
All that was considered when I was rebuilding my truck and the after market cooler was being set up. I decided to not run it through the radiator first because I felt the radiator is hot to begin with and all that running it through the radiator first was going to do was keeping the trans fluid hot longer due to not that much heat from the fluid was going to be pulled from it in the hot radiator.
I bought a 32,000 lb. cooler because it was recommended I run that size for my type of performance engine, and many racers used that size. I have yet to plumb my trans. temp. gauge in yet and need to since I just had my trans. overhauled at 165K miles. My first overhaul was when the trans. was factory and it was at 191K, and I know I have used this truck much, much more and harder than the first owner did.
So, I figured it has done pretty well with the cooler hooked up the way I have it. I don't tow, and there are no hills anywhere around where I live. I suppose following the book suggestion on plumbing the cooler lines up the way @HotRodPC indicates would be fine depending on how the truck is to be used. No one ever rides in the truck with me and all I have in it is a small tool box and some stuff under the seat. I spend most all my driving a low street speed and no highway driving, and if I do it's for a very short distance and at speeds under 60 mph. Sounds boring doesn't it.
You're probably OK in LA if you really don't want to run the cooler lines through the radiator. The main purpose of also keeping the radiator trans cooler in use is to also heat the trans fluid. You get up in a much colder climate and with a biggo aux cooler, you might take a long time to get your trans fluid warmed up, and that's not real good either. I'd imagine you're fine in LA. I just ran aux cooler when I was in So Cali since my radiator was for a manual trans truck so when I converted to auto I just added an aux cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes