Anyone ever shot-peen cleaned steel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Friend of mine bought an old NAPA shop and does mostly head work and such. He has a burnoff oven and shot peen machine he also uses for engine blocks. WELL.....I have a fugly set of rusted up steelies, and he never messed with any wheels but was curious how they'd come out. Put them in the oven at 650F for an hour, then the shot peen tumbler. Came out looking new except they are a red-brown in color......like a seasoned metal.

My question is what do I have to do to put some paint over them? Wipe them down with acetone, then primer, etc? I dont think they need sand blasted now and thats a 45 min drive + big $ anyways. Would powder coat them but thats bigger $ I cant do ATM either.

Thx.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It needs a good wash down and all of the oil galleries and passes washed heavily to make sure there's nothing left, use an air nozzle on the entire thing.

This how we did it at the shop, you bake them, let them cool, run em through the washer a couple times and blow dry em.