Anyone done lsx w/a carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Merry Christmas!

You can see everything about my swap in my intro thread, linked below.
I set the engine forward from most, for several reasons. It has worked wonderfully. I'm closing on about 8k miles since completing the swap.

You can keep your original radiator and mounts. Use the LS truck lower hose and '05-'08 Vette top hose. The key is to use the water pump for a 2010 Camaro. It has a driver side water neck, and the thermostat housing points lower than the truck does. You can get it from RockAuto for $160, loaded with t-stat and housing, tensioner and pulley. It requires moving the idler down between the alternator and P/S pump. You can do that with a spacer and longer mounting bolt, or get a small bracket from Dirty Dingo for $26 with bolts.
I made a custom fan shroud for twin fans, and used a 454 radiator for the HD cooling option, Rock Auto again, $130. You can use your stock mounts. Just be sure to get the 454 HD radiator pads from LMC. If you use the 454 mounting plate, you can use a fan shroud like mine.
I can provide motor mount adapters, a fan shroud, and a dual exhaust cross member for 2wd trucks. You can keep the A/C on the pass side. A slightly longer drive shaft is necessary. See it all HERE.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Can i use the ls truck pump/fan combo? Or is going all electric required?
Is the longer driveshaft required for a 4wd truck? In planning on 4l60e/np241c combo

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
4wd trucks require that you keep the trans and transfer case in the stock location, so the motor sets back farther. In either case, there is room for the engine driven fan. Those were not terribly common. More were equipped with electric fans.
As to which is best.... You need a fan most at low speed, high ambient temps, like summer traffic. An engine driven fan does little here. At highway speeds, air flow is sufficient that a fan is almost unnecessary. This is where an engine driven fan is best. You also get better fuel economy with electric fans.
Lastly, one of the biggest challenges in an LS swap is routing the air intake tube. Engine driven fans eat up a lot of space. If you want a cleaner install, and easier job, go electric. The ECM has two-stage controls that you can customize: fan 1 comes on at 195*, cuts off at 185*, fan 2 cuts on at 220* (or when A/C is activated), and cuts off at 210* (or when A/C is deactivated). You can customize any of this.

87lsxgmc

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ive done both an efi swap, and a carb swap. efi is nice, can be aggravaiting sometimes. carb is most defenitly easier. especially when you start doing cam/head swaps. however, with wanting to run overdrive ie 4l60e your shooting yourself in the foot youl need a controller for the trans. i would strongly reccomend building that 4l60e before you install it, they are fragille from the factory! good luck with the build!

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Most of my driving is extremely short trips in town to the dump or interstate to the big city. So od would be nice as it is 80 miles round trip

4l65e any better? Or a late gen 4l60e, i think 2003ish they beefed them up?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
4wd trucks require that you keep the trans and transfer case in the stock location, so the motor sets back farther. In either case, there is room for the engine driven fan. Those were not terribly common. More were equipped with electric fans.
As to which is best.... You need a fan most at low speed, high ambient temps, like summer traffic. An engine driven fan does little here. At highway speeds, air flow is sufficient that a fan is almost unnecessary. This is where an engine driven fan is best. You also get better fuel economy with electric fans.
Lastly, one of the biggest challenges in an LS swap is routing the air intake tube. Engine driven fans eat up a lot of space. If you want a cleaner install, and easier job, go electric. The ECM has two-stage controls that you can customize: fan 1 comes on at 195*, cuts off at 185*, fan 2 cuts on at 220* (or when A/C is activated), and cuts off at 210* (or when A/C is deactivated). You can customize any of this.
OK, will plan on that. I think i read Taurus fans are really good.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
good to know, will add that to my list of possible fans

Forum statistics