Anyone done lsx w/a carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Woot woot! Triple

Sent from the dust in front of you!

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
To answer the first question... cheaper? Actually, yes, most likely. Easier, not really. Only the electrical part would be different than EFI. You still need something to fire the coils. But, that part is cheaper than an after market computer, if you are comparing apples to apples.

$750-$1000 complete? All the accessories and brackets? Required sensors and senders? Computer and complete harness? Guy that did this swap at work into a '76 Camaro said he would get a complete donor vehicle next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are into it for $3000 on the cheaper side. Can your current tank accept an in-tank pump? Don't even bother with an in-line pump. Your electric system needs to be in top working order too. Exhaust will need to be worked on. Computer will need a tune at the very minimum. Can't think of much else at the moment.

Luckily for me my drivers side tank is completely rotten and needs to be replaced, as is my exhaust.

Like i said need to price everything out then decide.

One post says 118k on engine, 750 bare and 950 w/ harness, pcm, and accessories, so i assume that is complete

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I like to buy engines that are still in the vehicle if I'm gonna drop em in and run em. But that's not bad tho. I'd run it sounds to be complete.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I like to buy engines that are still in the vehicle if I'm gonna drop em in and run em. But that's not bad tho. I'd run it sounds to be complete.

I have driven by the place, they have a lot of wrecked trucks, in fact i think that's all they deal with. Maybe next week i will swing by.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea check em out. It'll give you a good ideas if what's going on.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like i said need to price everything out then decide.

A lot of the time the pre-planning of a potential build is the most fun part!

I would suggest you write things done (or put in a word doc) with the actual real world prices. Think of every little thing you "might" need, because if you think you "might" need it, you most likely WILL need it!

Guy that did the Camaro, bought his 5.3 for $200. Without cracking it open he has about $4000 into the swap, and he used his old transmission. Not trying to talk you out of it, but I feel a lot of people have a diluted vision of the true cost of a swap like this. Yeah, you can use cheap parts, but how realistic is it for them to all last like new stuff. And I don't want to hear the "300k mile engine, easy" B.S. a lot of guys throw around. As soon as you take it out of it's original setting, all bets are off.

There is also the L-31R crate engine for a tick over $2000. 4-bolt main, 1 pc. rear main seal, Vortec heads, and roller cam.

Good luck with your decision!

edit: My reseal of the 305 in my SS has gone from a $300 estimate to almost $1000. And the same guy that did the Camaro, also refreshed the 355 in his '57 Bel-Air to the tune of $2500. Quality work is not as budget as some think!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

I would suggest you write things done (or put in a word doc) with the actual real world prices. Think of every little thing you "might" need, because if you think you "might" need it, you most likely WILL need it!

Guy that did the Camaro, bought his 5.3 for $200. Without cracking it open he has about $4000 into the swap, and he used his old transmission. Not trying to talk you out of it, but I feel a lot of people have a diluted vision of the true cost of a swap like this. Yeah, you can use cheap parts, but how realistic is it for them to all last like new stuff. And I don't want to hear the "300k mile engine, easy" B.S. a lot of guys throw around. As soon as you take it out of it's original setting, all bets are off.

There is also the L-31R crate engine for a tick over $2000. 4-bolt main, 1 pc. rear main seal, Vortec heads, and roller cam.

edit: My reseal of the 305 in my SS has gone from a $300 estimate to almost $1000. And the same guy that did the Camaro, also refreshed the 355 in his '57 Bel-Air to the tune of $2500. Quality work is not as budget as some think!
This is true as you are factoring in all of the parts needed. The o.p. asked about carb vs efi. If you factor in the rest of the items needed ya the price can go up. Now here's the thing :) if you used the engine mounting brackets from a member here that makes them... that same price goes down as you no longer have to buy the special accessory brackets and radiator :)

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I read through the conversion thread, not quite as much info as i would have liked.

If the engine is complete with all accessories, i think the only thing i need to transfer is my power steering?

Then i just need to get fuel and power to harness, right?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Power steering can mount :) or you may just be able to use the same one that came with the engine. Let me find the link to the YouTube video

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
interesting.

i think my pump is slowly dieing so it would be OK with me to use the newer one.

going to be researching a lot tomorrow i think.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hey take time and go slow. No need to rush.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears

L31 looks nice, but it needs, what another 1000 or so to be complete? i don't have any 350 stuff. i would almost rather gamble on the LSX setup and get a trans too:) then at least my entire driveline will be newer or recently rebuilt (only thing still left is the engine and trans as both axles and tcase have been done)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok so carb : wide band A/F meter, intake, carb, jets?, rods?, gaskets?, fittings and hoses to re route fuel lines, air filter, fuel management system?, run cooler? That's why the afm and vvt retards timing and manages fuel for... to maintain temp.
Efi. Tune after performance parts and go or but tuner and do it at your will economy and power mode :) oh if you don't want to trim the wire harvest that's extra.

NO lol Cool as in " hey man that's COOL! "

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
To answer the first question... cheaper? Actually, yes, most likely. Easier, not really. Only the electrical part would be different than EFI. You still need something to fire the coils. But, that part is cheaper than an after market computer, if you are comparing apples to apples.

$750-$1000 complete? All the accessories and brackets? Required sensors and senders? Computer and complete harness? Guy that did this swap at work into a '76 Camaro said he would get a complete donor vehicle next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are into it for $3000 on the cheaper side. Can your current tank accept an in-tank pump? Don't even bother with an in-line pump. Your electric system needs to be in top working order too. Exhaust will need to be worked on. Computer will need a tune at the very minimum. Can't think of much else at the moment.

Plus the fuel injection system could be sold to recuperate costs.

With the carb a lot of things can stay factory style except you still need an inline fuel pump for the carb but they are cheap for a carb set up compared to a FI system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100