any tips for removing stripped flexplate/flywheel bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
The 6 that hold the flexplate or flywheel to the crank? Mine are stripped and I'm pretty screwed now because of it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:( that's not good!!! How did all 6 get stripped??

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
5 did ones out.

I have no clue especially me doing it and using the right socket. I guess the bolts were just old and wouldn't take anymore since they were so torqued or something.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can try getting a set of those sockets with teeth for removing damaged bolts. You can try hammering on a smaller socket. Or if you have a welder you can weld a new nut onto the head of the bolt.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well I do have a nut out thing from craftsman was going to try it. Didn't think of the welder though I do gots me one now though hehe might have to try it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The 6 that hold the flexplate or flywheel to the crank? Mine are stripped and I'm pretty screwed now because of it.

Oh my God, you have to be SHITTING ME? :sad72:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I don't reckon you can get a pipe wrench to get a bite on them can ya? Sometimes tightening a stuck bolt a little helps loosen it up, but yours might be too far gone now. Heat helps too, so when you weld the nut on it, use plenty of heat and a heavy weld. Only thing is you might have to wait for it to cool, you're not supposed to heat the bolt because it will expand and get more difficult to remove, but once it cools it may pop loose whatever is hanging it up. And since it's a crankshaft you don't really have the option of putting heat on the crank. Good luck bubba!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't reckon you can get a pipe wrench to get a bite on them can ya? Sometimes tightening a stuck bolt a little helps loosen it up, but yours might be too far gone now. Heat helps too, so when you weld the nut on it, use plenty of heat and a heavy weld. Only thing is you might have to wait for it to cool, you're not supposed to heat the bolt because it will expand and get more difficult to remove, but once it cools it may pop loose whatever is hanging it up. And since it's a crankshaft you don't really have the option of putting heat on the crank. Good luck bubba!

I thougt he meant the threads were stripped, so it's the bolt heads then are rounded? :think:

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
If the heads are already screwed clamp the Vise-Grips on the bolt then beat on the pliers with a hammer. I hate that resistance, resisitance, slip feeling of a fastener letting go, especially when its something really important or hard to get at....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
heads are stripped vice grips aint gonna cut it, before they got stripped I had a torque wrench on them and it was reading past 100 ft. lbs. trying to break one loose. I would guess they are 200 ft. lbs or better and how that happened not a clue when I put em on I torque em right and not over torqued or impacted like that.

guess what though, find my craftsman bolt out set, after digging out the entire building almost I FINALLY find them, open em up and I only gort the small 5 piece kit. Of course the biggest one, isn't big enough. So now I have to find a bigger one/buy another set just to try in hopes it may work. if not it's grinder/chisel time then weld some nuts on the studs and try to pull them out.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
got some bolt extractor sockets that'll fit it today hope they work, maybe get to try em tomorrow or one day soon.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm going to assume you have already soaked these stubborn bastards in the penetrating oil of your choice correct? If not, it can't hurt to try it now. I was going to suggest a manual impact wrench, which is a harder hit than a cheater bar, but less destructive than an air/electric impact gun. Mcmaster-Carr sells a really good one for like thirty bucks with a bunch of bits.....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I got a manual one and yes they have been soaked plenty.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good luck with those extractors, this is the real test for those things.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the extracotr sockets didn't work, it did bite and let me get some torque on it but it didn't work. They are just more rounded off now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1