Any easy way to find my RPO codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My truck was built at the Ontario Canada plant. From what I've read up on them, that facility liked to place the RPO code sheets on the driver's side inner fender. My stock inner fenders are long gone, so finding the RPO sheet at that location isn't going to be possible. I also checked the glove box but the only decal there is loading information and weight capacities for a camper. The last place I checked was at that VIN decoder site that was posted a while back. My VIN number doesn't come up with anything there yet (is it ever that easy?) so I am still hunting.

I have a feeling that having the RPO information would make life easier for me. I already had to spend a few hours tracking down information on what the RPO code was for the brake system that is on the truck. Thank goodness GM put the GVW information in the VIN or I'd still be trying to track that down. Is there another spot that I can look for my codes either in the truck or on the internet?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I remember a thread about this on another forum, someone wanted to know where to find the build sheet. One of their members was a engineer who worked in the GM factorys while they built square body trucks, he said its totally random. The workers were not really required to put them anywhere, instead of throwing them away they got stuffed into a number of weird places. Some guys said they found them under their seats or stuck inside the door panels.

I just found mine the other day when I pulled my dash pad out, just fell out and there it was.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
of all of the trucks i've ever owned, the only one i found was my 81 K30. i found it folded neatly, on top of the steering column support, behind the cluster. it rode there for over 25 years, and though the truck looked like it had been to the sun and back a few times, it was still in good shape.

that is the same truck that we removed the rubber flooring, and found the floorboards held together with only paint.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I guess I'll start hunting. I really hope that the guys on the line at GM put the sheet in the truck and I really really hope that the previous owner didn't find it and toss it way back when.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What specifically were you wanting to know about the truck?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, everything really. I'd love to have the complete list so that I know the truck inside and out before I get to the parts store and they ask me a specific question relating to one of the codes... much like what happened recently when I ordered some brake parts. To find out the correct parts that I needed I had to decode the VIN, get the GVW info from it and do an extensive search for information on another forum so that I could match up the GVW to the correct brake system RPO code (JB7). I'd love to just have the list handy so that I have a reference sheet without having to actually pull the diff covers and such to confirm the data normally. In the end it's not as if the earth will suddenly stop spinning if I can't get the info, it will just mean that things get done a little slower than usual... which is pretty slow.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Mines still in the glove box.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Aha! :favorites37:

EDIT: I managed to find a link to a US version: GM Media Archives. http://www.gmmediaarchive.com

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com

I new there had to be a company like this out there. I had done a similar package with Pontiac Historical Services for my Firebird a few years back, I just had to find someone who did it with the other GM brands.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76