Any ATV wiring gurus here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ive been kicking around the idea of adding a couple extra lights to my ATV. I’m wondering if anyone here knows how much electric draw one can handle? The lights I want to add are a small set of flood beam lights that are originally meant to be auxiliary backup lights. But they fit in my front bumper perfectly and have a flood pattern so I figured they would be a good set of trail lights. They are 55 watt incandescent bulbs if I remember right. I don’t want to go LED since I already have these and a wiring kit so it’s a free add in. I know an ATV doesn’t have an alternator but I’m not sure how they keep the battery charging, and I don’t know how many accessories they can run. Any ideas?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It has a stator with a rectifier for the battery. You may have to upgrade the stator if the lights go dim or add a second battery. If it doesn’t have a pull start backup, I’d look into an isolator to keep one battery dedicated just for starting so you don’t end up stranded.

If it does have a pull start, make sure the pull cord is in good shape.

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It has a stator with a rectifier for the battery. You may have to upgrade the stator if the lights go dim or add a second battery. If it doesn’t have a pull start backup, I’d look into an isolator to keep one battery dedicated just for starting so you don’t end up stranded.

If it does have a pull start, make sure the pull cord is in good shape.
Stator. I’d heard that term before but wasn’t sure what it was for. I won’t be adding another battery, but an upgraded stator would be a nice touch since I do have a winch. Oh and it does have a pull start, that is in good shape. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88