Anti theft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Hey guys, I'm curious what some of you might be using for your older trucks, like mine (1977) as an alarm or anti theft system? Brand, cost, etc.
Thanks, Greg

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm using this and a distributor coil kill switch kit from Performance Distributors ($15.00).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 316

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The Club. Early model, period correct.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
yup i have one of them they are pretty solid

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You must be registered for see images attach

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Previous owner spliced in a simple toggle switch to the IGN circuit of the distributor. The switch is in a... hidden location outside the cab. Good luck bypassing that if you don't know where it is!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
First you need to decide what type of theft is most likely.

If I was going to steal my truck it would probably be:
1 - yank the ignition switch out with a slide hammer, turn the ignition and start it up
2 - Use a tow truck to raise the rear wheels and pull it away
3 - use a flatbed tow truck to winch the entire truck up and tow it away

For option one there are quite a few alternatives to disable fuel or ignition, or lock the steering wheel. If they decide to use options 2 or 3, all you can do is try to park so that they do not have access to drive the tow truck. That may be difficult if you just park the truck on the street.

Ignition kill switches are relatively simple to install. Some disable only the starting capability (you must push a switch while starting), while others are a toggle that has to be turned on all the time when the engine is running.

You can also get electric fuel valves that have to be activated with a toggle. so you can shut off fuel to the carburetor. One small advantage of these is that the thief may get the truck started using the fuel in the float bowls, but then it will stall at the first intersection when the carburetor runs dry. Most of the time they will not want to hang around to try to figure out why it quit, so the truck will be abandoned a short way from your house.

Bruce

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Of course, this is my first choice. But I was more concerned with the times when I'm not within firing distance of my truck.
I didn't want to have to deal with a big clunky steering lock system but then I figured, if my truck was stolen, I 'd feel a lot worse than how the anti theft system might look. I don't want some jack off busting up my tilt column, trying to turn the ignition so I decided on the Club. New model has double hooks and bright yellow so it's a visual deterrent as well. Less than $24.Yes, it's big and clunky but you can spot it from a block away so it should do the trick.
Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• 20170209_184219.jpg
    20170209_184219.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 221

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Of course, this is my first choice. But I was more concerned with the times when I'm not within firing distance of my truck.
I didn't want to have to deal with a big clunky steering lock system but then I figured, if my truck was stolen, I 'd feel a lot worse than how the anti theft system might look. I don't want some jack off busting up my tilt column, trying to turn the ignition so I decided on the Club. New model has double hooks and bright yellow so it's a visual deterrent as well. Less than $24.Yes, it's big and clunky but you can spot it from a block away so it should do the trick.

Making it slightly more difficult to steal your truck than the next guy's truck is really all it takes.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's

I like watching the videos of the thief taking 10-15 seconds to use a hacksaw to make one cut through the steering wheel, bend one side of the cut away from the other side of the cut, and then slide The Club right off. Screwdriver pounded into the ignition key slot, and it's a done deal.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I like watching the videos of the thief taking 10-15 seconds to use a hacksaw to make one cut through the steering wheel, bend one side of the cut away from the other side of the cut, and then slide The Club right off. Screwdriver pounded into the ignition key slot, and it's a done deal.

They have to be determined and know EXACTLY what they are doing. So I guess a quick google search can get any thief the knowledge they need.

An alarm with immobilizer should do the trick. You can get them all all day long on Amazon for a drop in the hat with the added luxury of keyless entry. Also being within firing range wouldn't hurt your odds either.:lazer:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

If I want to steal a square.... Let me go through the steps.

They aren't common anymore, but they aren't terribly rare.

So, I go through craigslist, look for a nice one, has the stuff I want.

Figure out where five are, send a associate to go check them out.

Go back at 3 am and see where they are.

As soon as I see one with a CLub on it? I'm just going to the next one on my list. It's a square, not a Ferrari, there's no particular reason to fool around with a specific one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64