Another Gauge Cluster Question or 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
in my picture on the second page you can see the oil pressure sending unit and the wire with the rubber boot on the end of it is the wire it looks light brown or tan and it also comes out of that main harness.

Last edited:

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
in my picture on the second page you can see the oil pressure sending unit and the wire with the rubber boot on the end of it is the wire it looks light brown or tan and it also comes out of that main harness.

OK, I see the one you are talking about. Definitely not the same color of one that I found.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
did you find one with that boot? or just the one that went to your guage?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
did you find one with that boot? or just the one that went to your guage?

Neither, I just meant I saw the one in your pic with the boot. That wire looks a lot lighter in color than the one on my truck that I was hoping went to my gauge. I haven't found anything on my truck with a boot like that yet. The brown wire I found has no end on it at all.

I'll find it, had to run up to my office for a bit to get a little work done before OU plays tonight. Sure is nice having water temp again though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
For a 1978 (I think that's what we're talking about - I don't believe the model year has ever been confirmed) with a V8, the sensing leg for the oil pressure gauge is dark blue.

After that (in 1979), it was changed to tan and stayed that way for a long time. It was tan until at least until 1987 - and that's where my experience ends.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For a 1978 (I think that's what we're talking about - I don't believe the model year has ever been confirmed) with a V8, the sensing leg for the oil pressure gauge is dark blue.

After that (in 1979), it was changed to tan and stayed that way for a long time. It was tan until at least until 1987 - and that's where my experience ends.

This is the 1982. I will search for that wire. Unfortunately I'm not seeing out in plain sight but I guess that would be too easy.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Go over by the wiper motor. The engine wiring group passes through the firewall right under the wiper motor casing.

Start at the very end of the loom and remove it by spreading the seam and pulling it off the wires. There is plenty of room in that area to allow you to locate the tan lead and if necessary splice an additional length of wire on to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Go over by the wiper motor. The engine wiring group passes through the firewall right under the wiper motor casing.

Start at the very end of the loom and remove it by spreading the seam and pulling it off the wires. There is plenty of room in that area to allow you to locate the tan lead and if necessary splice an additional length of wire on to it.

I did this last night, there are only two wires I see that could remotely be called tan and one of those ends up going down into a harness that leads toward the transmission. The other wire, (looks more brown to me) has the end cut off. Rather than splice to it, I am just going to put a connector on it and try to attach it to the sender and see if that does it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Rather than splice to it, I am just going to put a connector on it and try to attach it to the sender and see if that does it.

If it's long enough, that's how I would do it - no sense making more work for yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981