Another Carb to TBI conversion,oh no.LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have several vehicles that are going to get converted,as parts become availeable.
The current project and what I have is:
A 1983 GMC 4X4 1500 Sierra,was deisel,now gas,350 V8 and Turbo 350.
The Plan:
Convert to TBI and eventually going to go with a turbo 700R4.
What I have and what is availeable at this moment:
Two 1989 GMC 1500,one with a manual transmission,this one is complete, and one with an automatic,the one with the auto still has transmission and transfer case,busted bell housing.
What I have done thus far:
I have removed from the manual transmission unit the TBI and manifold and computer box.
NOW:
My question is,is the wiring harness for the manual transmission the same as the one for the auto trans. so I know for sure which one to be removing,I`m just throwing out a guess that the auto has more wiring for the transmission.
I will get the computer from the auto trans unit.
I have other qustions on swapping other components but for now I am concerned with installing the TBI and associated wiring and which wires I can eliminate and which ones is essential for a successfull conversion.
I am retired and have time,but,I am poor as a church mouse and so shopping for the nice stuff is out of the question.
I do have a nice garage and a LOT of tools and I know how to use them.I am a retired Mechanic but in My career I did`nt get to goof with this nice modern stuff too much,mostly welding and heavy equipment repairs.
I thank You,each and everyone for any information I can gain on these projects.
The next one will be My 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4,My 59 Dodge Power Wagon W100 4X4 then My 78 MG B.
All My "Someday" projects.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OH,I forgot,I do know I need to get "ALL" of the sensors.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The harness from the auto truck will already have the wiring in place for the 700r4's lock-up torque convertor.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OK,I will for sure get that harness from the auto. pickup,maby I should get the one from the manual pickup too just in case a member in here would need one,kind of a pay it forwards.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, there's always guys looking for that stuff. Not sure how long it would take, but eventually somebody would be happy that you saved it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, there's always guys looking for that stuff. Not sure how long it would take, but eventually somebody would be happy that you saved it.
Oh Yeah,I have a garage and two buildings full of that "just in case" kinds of stuff,it is surprising how often someone`ll come along and "You got one of them things whut ........." go in,dig around and come out with one.I am always building different kinds of stuff for one mod or another and it all comes in quite handy from time to time.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got the partial harness,TBI,distributor and all related sensors from the manual shift pickup.
From the pickup with the auto trans I got the complete harness and the speedo sensor.
I did clip the harness at the fire wall as I coiuld not figure out how to get the harnesses unplugged from the bulkhead connector.
I`ll now do a search in this forum and find who it is that is so good with these harnesses and possibly send these harnesses over to Him and get them sorted out and simplified for this conversion.
I`m not too good with wiring so I`m thinking it would be best to having someone that is familiar with this to get it done right the first time.
The 77R4 transmission`ll probably be here within the month and so the conversion will begin.
I think I will need to order a speedo drive conversion for two other build I`ll be doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli