Amp Power Steps on a K5 solved.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

do150

Reaction score
First Name
danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
How did you do the wiring? Did you use the ford harness and splice it?

Keat

Reaction score
First Name
Keat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.0L
First let me explain: My wife has always been down to ride, for 26 years, but we're both turning 50 this year and starting to look a little silly jumping up into this old Blazer w 7" of lift on 36" tires. She's been on me for years about a step but I like my clean look as-is. I told her retractable steps would be the only way I'd do it so she said she'd buy them if I could make it work. I'm putting this out because I started thinking about this years ago and to this day I can still not find any documentation of anyone doing this. All I could find was a sweet little 9 second youtube video of a power step inserting and retracting on a K5 and that's it. The guy won't reply to any of the questions so all I knew is that it was possible.

After much research I settled on a set of power steps for a 2014 F250. Then I settled on a bracket size. Obviously you'll have to mount to the underside of the cab floor to make these things disappear so I came up with an 8"x28" and a 4"x28" -1/4" plate steel bracket with 5 gussets(In hindsight I wish I'd gone with 4.25"x28" because I could have used the extra 1/4" but I made it work). One problem is that the floor surface is uneven. This size 8x28 piece will lay flat all except for a portion of it toward the rear of the truck but I have a fix for that also. I used the two outside seat bolts for 2 of my eight(8) 3/8" fasteners/bolts. Both of the factory nuts on the underside will need to be cut off. A cut wheel did the trick. I've attached a pic of my hole layout on the mounting plate. Pay attention to how the two pieces are oriented and the notches in the edge of the 88x28 as well as the two v-shaped notches. I trimmed @5/8" off the top of the bracket and you'll need that notch or lose 1/4" of depth. I also "clocked" the motors clockwise 2 hole positions from the original locations. To do this you'll have to grind off the alignment dowel(you'll see once you open it up). I also had to cut out a square hole for the motor assembly to fit. If you use a 4.25" x28" piece instead of a 4" then you won't have to cut as much step bracket or square hole like I did.

When you put it up under the truck you'll see that the rear inside corner of the 8x24 will not touch the floor because the floor is offset up, uneven. What I do not have a picture of is the 4"x4" 3/8" plate piece I tacked on the floor side of said corner to make it right.

You will have to notch the cab frame but I don't think I've compromised anything from the looks and feel.

What I do know is that its totally unseen and works great, very solid. It may even be the end of ripping the crotch out of my old blue jeans getting into this thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Do you remember the parts and from where you purchased them? I love the post, and want to recreate it in my ‘83 K5.

BAJABURB

Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Truck Year
Truck Model
SUBURBAN 4X4 3/4
Engine Size
Finally, an excellent illustration. Good job! Which AMP model do you think could be modified for a 90 'Burb?

Rhett Croley

Reaction score
First Name
Rhett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Rory- Sorry, just saw this. I stayed with the 208 and got the in-line signal generator/tac input (don't remember what it's actually called) that ties in line with the speedo cable and brought the speed input in that way. It's the terminator X with trans control harness. 4L80, 6.0 LQ9

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
That's a lot of work. I just keep a 3-Step, step-ladder in the back of Blaze for my wife to get in and out. But it's pretty hilarious watching her get in without it (especially when she's wearing a skirt).

Eb1983

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
6.0ls
Just joining the forum. What was the model number from AMP you used for the K5 side step. Trying to order and install a set for my blazer!!

upsman928

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thank you for posting the retractable steps. It been on my mind for 8 years now. Excellent job. Now I can finish my 1990 Jimmy.

mr avenger

Reaction score
First Name
edwin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
those look great did you cut the running board down to that size?
Loved your write up! Thanks for taking the time and detailed pics! Wrapping up a set rn! How close is your bracket to the inner rocker?

Toby 406

Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
Its all good. I have been thinking of something similar for my 85 K20. I hate the "loop" type step I have on it now. Why did you choose the 2014 F250 model? I'm just trying to save time and energy figuring it out myself if someone else (like you) have already worked it out.

The K5 and the K10 sure makes a nice pair. My next project, if I ever get around to it, is an LS swapped K5.
So...14 F250 regular cab amp steps? How are they powered? OBD port?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg