American Racing Outlaw II Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
What do you guys use to clean Outlaw II wheels? I think there is a clear coat on them. Would just plain soap and water work?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, clear coated. If the clear coat gets to be dull or crusty looking, all you can do to make them like new again is to strip the clear and then polish them up. If you don't want to polish them all the time, they would need a coat of clear again.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yep, clear coated. If the clear coat gets to be dull or crusty looking, all you can do to make them like new again is to strip the clear and then polish them up. If you don't want to polish them all the time, they would need a coat of clear again.
How to strip the clear coat?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How to strip the clear coat?

There's various brands of aerosol paint strippers that are formulated to specifically strip off clear coat. I recently used the last of mine, it was called "Peeler" but I don't know if it's still on the market. I had bought all of it at least 10 years ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You literally just spray it on and then wipe it off with a rag, after maybe a minute or so.

The aluminum is a machined surface, so using just a polish cleans it up like new. Mag wheel polish isn't aggressive enough to remove the machine marks.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Thanks for the replies. When @78c10bigten mentioned Mothers, I have used their product but it was the Mag & Aluminum Polish and it did nothing but make more work for me. The shine was as good as before I started so I was disappointed. I guess I was hoping for a mirror finish, although the cleaned aluminum looked pretty good. Before @bucket replied I'd gone to the American Racing website and found they do indeed have a clear coat on them, so I then checked out the Mothers website and saw they have a Wheel and Tire Cleaner that is okay to use with clear coat. So I'll be getting a couple bottles of that to use my fleet with clear coat wheels. Once I get the truck all shined up I'll post up some pictures in the Crusty Biscuit thread. I'm leaving no surface untouched except those that require dismantling stuff that I don't need to at the moment. Been scrubbing and washing areas that haven't been scrubbed since probably before I got the truck. All this work will gain an easy 20 horsepower right...lol...

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I stated mothers because thats all ive ever known. My dad swore by it. Ive found great results in meguiers products

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'll be sticking with Mothers on this one for the wheel and tire clean up. The waxing, I am tossing around a few different options, but either way it'll shine when all is said and done.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
I have BARE aluminum wheels, and fuel tank.
Have tried at least 6 different products that claim they are the best in the west???
Mothers Aluminum and Mag cleaner for UNCLEARCOATED is the best I have found so far, for the price.
You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Nice truck. I spent all day Friday waxing and buffing by hand, and around 9pm after eating dinner, I went out to clean the wheels and tires. My hands are nicked up from various knuckle scrapers under the hood and metal corners that my hands found all over the truck. That tire and wheel cleaner is good for disinfecting those...feel the burn!!...lol... Had to be on the road on or before 7am on the 25th, so I didn't clean the tires in any manner other than using the cleaner. It didn't do anything for the tires, they actually looked cleaner just brushing them when I washed the truck, but the cleaner worked well on the wheels.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx