All right boys help me decide. OEM or Carbon Fiber Hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselCrzy

Reaction score
First Name
Chelsea
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have an 81 Sierra Classic I'm restoring, she's baby blue with white roof. im torn between a white carbon fiber hood or if i should just keep the orginal hood on. I've been pondering on the for a while now and can't make up my mind. I don't wanna spend a bunch of money for me not to like it. I need opinions!

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
Gimme-a-Hoodie!

I have an 81 Sierra Classic I'm restoring, she's baby blue with white roof. im torn between a white carbon fiber hood or if i should just keep the orginal hood on. I've been pondering on the for a while now and can't make up my mind. I don't wanna spend a bunch of money for me not to like it. I need opinions!

If yours is a 2 whl drive shortbox (from what I see in your profile, it is) I would say a carbon Cowl induction hood).. killer looks, speed crazy appeal and really ties in well with that model.

If you're talking an off-roader machine, I'd run the factory look... personal opinion

A great place to start (and look, it's in your color! Blue!): http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CC_23.htm

I've never had issues with price, fit or appearance of parts from LMC
:patriot:
~Sun

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
If your talking about a carbon fiber hood that you can see the mesh, I would say no. IMHO I don't think carbon fiber has a place on a square but a steel cowl looks great.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I had no idea they made carbon fiber hoods for these trucks, I have seen fiberglass hoods and the steel cowl ones but thats it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I agree never knew they had CARBON fiber, but I knew they have FIBERGLASS.

IMO none of that mesh carbon fiber crap, on anything but a ricer.

fiberglass, YES on anything.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The truck looks great, I would leave the hood how it is. I noticed your wheels need some hub caps and I just happen to have a full set in my garage.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
I do agree, but...

If your talking about a carbon fiber hood that you can see the mesh, I would say no. IMHO I don't think carbon fiber has a place on a square but a steel cowl looks great.

I'd agree that (a visible) CF has no place on a steel, I refer to it more for the weight (fight to lift a steel, whereas, spin the carbon hood like a pizza pie lol). They all can be painted, and as a personal preference, carbons should be painted. A lot depends on what you are looking for.. lighten the load or strictly appearance (remember, carbons can come in all types of slick styles, whereas, unless you know a spot on Fabricator, and are willing to put out massive $, steel is rather limited in its designs (and can rust).

My Square is all steel, and will remain so. However, if I was looking to go tricked out, Carbon would definitely be on the table (followed by a primo paint job)
:patriot:
~Sun

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

I also have a 1981 GMC Sierra 1500. I preffered the original hood because I kept my truck all original. What I can suggest is that maybe you should have like a theme for the truck; for example do you want to hot rod it out- then go for it the carbon fiber hood would look good with a tough strong engine underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1