Alignment + Spindle shims + new leafs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
My burb pulls to the right a bit. I took it to get alignment checked after putting some new tires on, and they said it would need a shim behind the spindle to correct the camber. How can this be? Did something get bent or what? Or a manufacturing error? It did the same thing before x4 ball joints (and tires) were replaced (not sure about those ball joint sleeves since I outsourced this job) but I would like it to drive straight...

My leafs are also done - sagging and some bushings are torn. I am looking to replace my leafs (all 4) in the future. Dumb question, but will new leafs affect alignment? I'm wondering if the worn leafs are causing the pulling...
I am looking to replace with stock height, or maybe add a bit of lift, say 1-1.5"? Is that within a safe suspension lift amount without having to do things like slip yoke elimination, or a steering block/drop pitman arm?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A good bump or minor jump at some point could have slightly tweaked the axle housing or the inner "c". IIRC, there is an offset balljoint available to correct the camber, but a spindle shim works too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And a sagging leaf won't make it pull, just lean.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks for the info, that's what I thought might be the case...

For the leaf springs, I think the rears are okay for now, but the fronts are sagging and the bushing torn so I'm thinking of replacing with new ones.

What's a good front leaf spring/brand to buy? I'm looking at keeping stock height, or perhaps going with a small lift (1-2") - something that I won't have to alter anything else on (shackles, driveshaft, steering, etc.) - if that's a safe lift amount to do.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A 2.5 inch lift is common and requires no other parts besides shocks. But even at 1 inch you could need longer shocks. I once put stock replacement springs on a K30 and the stock shocks were too short.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I just bought and installed new rancho RS9000XL shocks and they are good for 0"-2" - I can tell my front leafs especially are sagged quite a bit because the shocks and the boots look really compressed... so some new springs should get that back to normal.

I can't find any 1", 1.5", or 2.0" lift springs, just 2.5" and up lifts on Summit Racing, and then some stock ride height (I'm guessing) on Rock Auto made by Dayton.
For those stock ride height leafs, there are 2 options:
1) 2 and 3 leaf full taper leaf springs (1200 lb and 1400 lb ratings, respectively)
2) 4 leaf heavy duty at 1900 lb per spring rating.

My current leaf springs in the front are full taper (I think!) and have 2 leafs that are reverse camber compared to rear (as in "sad face"). Is this normal? Or are they supposed to be u-shaped like the rear?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My current leaf springs in the front are full taper (I think!) and have 2 leafs that are reverse camber compared to rear (as in "sad face"). Is this normal? Or are they supposed to be u-shaped like the rear?

That's normal for stock springs. My 2" lift is basically a flat spring when the truck is sitting on the ground.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You could run new stock springs and a pair of ORD zero rates. I wouldn't get the 4-leaf springs unless you want a really stiff ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31