Air Conditioning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Hello all,
I'm in the process of purchasing a new truck. Unfortunately I recently broke my leg so I'm having to do everything by phone and online. When I asked about the air conditioning on an 83 K10 I was told that it's "all there, just not hooked up" and that it would be an easy job to get it running. What exactly does that mean? Otherwise the truck is immaculate. A/C is not a deal breaker for me but I've heard this statement before on other cars. If it's so easy to to get working, why don't the sellers do so?
Anyway, thanks for any advice. I've always bought new cars in the past so and I've never purchased a car sight unseen so this is all a bit nerve racking.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Quick update, just got the inspection report on the truck and it states that the AC components are missing. Any ideas on how much it might cost to get the A/C hooked up? It was originally an A/C truck.
Thanks very much for any advice.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
You realy need to know whats missing to get a rough quote on repairs.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had to replace some missing a/c parts on a tacoma a while back, just a couple things, and had over $800 in it. Just a ballpark estimate but parts plus flush, leak test, and charge could run you $1,000-$1,500.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
It is wxtremely difficult for anyone to give you even a ball park figure on what it would take with out knowing for sure what is actually missing.

I can tell you I just completely installed the A/C system in my 85 with 100% new parts.
Compressor
Receiver Dryer
Low side and Highside lines (custom hoses)
Evaporator
Condensor
Orphus tube
and Freon
all for around $500.00. Keep in mind this was a custom A/C system as I have a vortec fuel injected motor in my truck, so it would quite possably be cheaper.
FYI cheapest A/C parts I can get are off of Ebay and I have never had a Problem with any of them, Been using the parts from there on my personal vehichles as well as my customers for atleast 5 years.

pdac1975

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Size
Thanks very much. I'm getting ready to make an offer on the truck so I'm going to assume around $1000 for the A/C.
Thanks again for everyones help. This is a great forum.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
It is wxtremely difficult for anyone to give you even a ball park figure on what it would take with out knowing for sure what is actually missing.

I can tell you I just completely installed the A/C system in my 85 with 100% new parts.
Compressor
Receiver Dryer
Low side and Highside lines (custom hoses)
Evaporator
Condensor
Orphus tube
and Freon
all for around $500.00. Keep in mind this was a custom A/C system as I have a vortec fuel injected motor in my truck, so it would quite possably be cheaper.
FYI cheapest A/C parts I can get are off of Ebay and I have never had a Problem with any of them, Been using the parts from there on my personal vehichles as well as my customers for atleast 5 years.

You would happen to know what those custom hose costed ya

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You would happen to know what those custom hose costed ya

it was somewhere between 100-150 bux i think, at the time i didnt really pay attention i just knew i needed them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns