Advice on 2/4 lowering my c10 1974

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerula

Reaction score
First Name
Jesper
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi guys,

While I am working to fix my water temperature gauge, I am planning a bigger project.

My truck is a Chevy c10 1974. As it sits right now, the right front is about 2 inches lower than the left. The suspension looks stock, I am guessing it's just tired.
So I decided to look for a new suspension solution - I want slight lowering of the truck to improve handling. My goal is to improve handling a bit and have a truck that can still run with load and not bottom out on the suspension. I'm thinking a 2/4 lowering kit would allow me achieve this.
With my goal in mind, I started trying to find a kit that would do this and a nice set of shocks. Now, here I am, days later. Confused and not really knowing what I should go for. What brands are good and what are not? Do these lowering springs have a higher resistance than the stock to avoid bottoming out? Can I be sure? How do I know what springs to use with a given kit? Should I get a kit with a replacement leaf spring? Is my plan even realistic?

I really need some good solid advice. What would you guys do?

My budget is around $650.

In Denmark c-notching is illegal so I cannot go that way. Also I am pretty sure flipping the rear would also give me problems.

Thanks.

/Jesper

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
In my research a static drop using front spindles and hangers for the rear leaf springs does not affect load capability. I would inspect vehicle to make sure nothing is broke with regards to the frame or suspension as 2 inch difference side to side seems extreme. I would probably replace both front springs and leaf springs as well. Don't forget control arm bushings and ball joints while estimating this project. Most drop spindles require you know which brake rotor your truck is fitted with (1" or 1.25"). Good luck

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
I have a DJM suspension kit on one of my trucks, axle flip kit on the back (didn’t notch it) and some of their lowering lower control arms for a 3in drop in the front. Had to get get different shocks in the back but kept the factory springs And shocks up front (for now)

The reason I went with the control arms over a spindle is I was running 15x8 rally wheels. Spindles will cause your factory lower control arms to rub on the inside of a 15in wheel. Not sure of your wheel and tire set up but that plays a role in what route you can go.

thus far I’ve had zero complaints, and didn’t have any fitment issues with tires rubbing on the fenders with a 255/70 tire and don’t have any issues with my current 20in wheel set up either

jerula

Reaction score
First Name
Jesper
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had a few minutes to look more at the truck. It has already been lowered. I found that on the rear there is a shackle. No idea what I am looking at, but it's quite long. From top to bottom middle of the bolt there is 6.5 inches. I have no idea how much of a drop that results in on the rear. I want to find out, so I can buy the correct shocks.
As for the front - with my new knowledge - it is clear that the truck is already lowered. I just have no idea by how much. How can I figure out what springs and shocks to get? Sorry for being so dumb, but I'm new at this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg