Adding a headrest to a bench seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermu97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jermu
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2l
I've got wore out old bucket seats in my 'burban, could use one extra seating position, and the missus wants to scoot on closer on roadtrips. So I want to swap in a bench seat. Or a 60/40 now that I think about it. I got a lead on a 1988-1994 bench seat out of a stepside with the low back. Now, in case of overall comfort and lesser chances of dying in a crash, I want to A) make the back higher and/or B) add a headrest. I am aware there are bench seats with higher backs, I just personally like the style of the said seat and think it really fits the interior of my 1989 suburban. Secondly seats as a whole are non-existent around here. Got a million G20 and G30 seats on the market, originals and conversions, just take your pick, but anything pickup/suburban/blazer related is much more scarce. Especially if you want something specific, such as a blue bench.
On to the actual question, do y'all have any pictures of the seat frame or build, anything really to highlight the need for extra work seatframe or padding-wise? Or has anyone done anything along the same lines? Any ideas really.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your Burb is an '89? If you get a bench seat from a '92-'94 pickup with the Silverado trim level, the fabric will match your existing seats. And it will have head rests.

Jermu97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jermu
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2l
Your Burb is an '89? If you get a bench seat from a '92-'94 pickup with the Silverado trim level, the fabric will match your existing seats. And it will have head rests.
I'm aware, but like I said, the biggest problem is availability. Also the backs are so low we'd have to pull the headrests so high it'd look stupid, but then again that's just my personall hell I'll have to bear if it comes to that. Because in the end, while I love form and wish to combine the two, I do prefer function

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the goal isn't just to have headrests, but tall ones at that?

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just curious, does anyone actually "use" a headreast? I always just thought it was there to prevent whip lash... In my 46 years I've never set in a seat with my head just resting against the headrest....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just curious, does anyone actually "use" a headreast? I always just thought it was there to prevent whip lash... In my 46 years I've never set in a seat with my head just resting against the headrest....

If it's a reclining seat and I want to nap at a rest stop, yes. But otherwise, nope.

Jermu97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jermu
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2l
So the goal isn't just to have headrests, but tall ones at that?
More likely I'd be adding height to the seatback in itself and A) try to source old headrests or the likelier option B) make completely new ones from scrap because you can't find separate old headrests and having already modified the seatbacks (in this scenario anyway) means I've got the tools and foam ready on the table

Jermu97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jermu
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2l
It's primary use is whiplash prevention indeed. And normally it's just that, but I have found myself using it for resting my head a time or two on longer roadtrips.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have seen installations where a single tube rollbar was placed behind the front seat/s to provide a place to mount headrests, from the top down, instead of mounting to the seat or being part of the seat. Also made a great place to mount dome lights and or reading lights.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think manufactures call them headrests because it sounds better than whiplash preventing pads. I don't think any manufacture means for them to be used as a headrest while driving down the road, to me that sounds like a recipe to fall asleep while driving.
If it's a reclining seat and I want to nap at a rest stop, yes. But otherwise, nope.
From the mid-90's until the mid 2000's one of our cars was a 1988 Olds delta 88. Power seats on both sides. I used to have to drive down to California a few times a year right around 900 miles one way, and I'd leave after work drive until I was tired and pull into a rest stop. I'd pull the head rests off the seat, lean the seat back down and adjust to bottom until flat then run it back to butt up to the rear seat. Yea, basically just made a little bed like that.

As for the original question I'm sorry I don't have any helpful ideas.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I purchased a set or blue headrests and sockets that they slide in to back when I had a bench seat. But never got to install them. It is relatively straight forward process. I can post pictures of the receiving ends and head rests later. Still sitting on the shelf. Or it is likely posted somewhere deep inside my burban thread. Was actually a toyota part number

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think manufactures call them headrests because it sounds better than whiplash preventing pads. I don't think any manufacture means for them to be used as a headrest while driving down the road, to me that sounds like a recipe to fall asleep while driving.

From the mid-90's until the mid 2000's one of our cars was a 1988 Olds delta 88. Power seats on both sides. I used to have to drive down to California a few times a year right around 900 miles one way, and I'd leave after work drive until I was tired and pull into a rest stop. I'd pull the head rests off the seat, lean the seat back down and adjust to bottom until flat then run it back to butt up to the rear seat. Yea, basically just made a little bed like that.

As for the original question I'm sorry I don't have any helpful ideas.

The stock seats in '82-'92 Camaros recline basically all the way and rest on the back seat bottoms. By far they are the most comfortable cars I've ever slept in. The newer GM stuff I've had, the seats only recline about half way.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The stock seats in '82-'92 Camaros recline basically all the way and rest on the back seat bottoms. By far they are the most comfortable cars I've ever slept in. The newer GM stuff I've had, the seats only recline about half way.
Right what is up with only a 1/2 way recline?

I'm past my sleeping in the cars days, pretty much. I could still do it, but would just rather a motel room any more. I've actually got another rant that ties into this but I'm going to put it in the rant thread so as not to get to far off topic here. I'll tag ya.

Jermu97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jermu
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2l
I have seen installations where a single tube rollbar was placed behind the front seat/s to provide a place to mount headrests, from the top down, instead of mounting to the seat or being part of the seat. Also made a great place to mount dome lights and or reading lights.
In a way that seems handy, but I'd imagine the trouble starts when you gotta move the seat forward or backward. Also it'd probably look a bit out of place

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Add tube inside seat back and then attached pieced slide in. Head rest then just slides in and locks as factory. 1/2" emt I believe works.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84