Ac Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm wanting to redo the ac on my 83 and swap over to serpentine system bit wanting to stay with factory style ac. What compressor or changes would make air colder than back in 83. I am replaving the condensor and evaporator. The only thing that i can think I'm not changing is the hoses. Any suggestion or comments

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
So you're going with the disk style compressor? Should freeze you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:happy175: Who the hell can be talking about AC when over half the country is freezing their nads off??? :laughing1:

I'm no AC expert, but it sounds to me you're going to be updating more than upgrading. Prolly going to have to go with a compressor off a later model truck with a serpentine belt clutch and I'd certainly consider going with an R134A compatible compressor.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I looked at update/upgrading my AC on my 74. By time you buy all the parts to correctly retrofit a r12 system to a 134 you are better off going with an electronic AC system like Vintage Air. Vintage Air gets rid of that huge box on the firewall and all the cables under the dash.

Now if you want to keep the factory stuff you need a compressor that is 134a compatible and will fit whatever belt drive you are going to use. If I remember correctly a serpentine system has the compressor on the passenger side and the v belt system has the compressor on the driver's side. If this is the case you are going to need new hoses.

Keep in mind that no AC system will cool if all your window and door seals are shot. The better sealed the cab is the better cooling you will get.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I have the gm performance serpentine setup on mine with the gen 4 vintage air. Compressor is on the right but a note about the vintage air kit is the hoses are way to long

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I'm using the aero quip stainless hoses you can assemble yourself. They are nice but pricey.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do anyone have pics of their setup

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I can send you pics of mine but it's custom.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
FYI I do have a nice sanden compressor from vintage air I'd like to unload if anyone's interested.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The factory type AC will usually cool very well, if the condenser is new and the proper amount of refrigerant is installed (takes a little less compared to r12). Make sure to evacuate the system before charging with refrigerant and do not use anything that has "stop leak" in it. The original style compressor is an R4 and they work well IMHO, but it's hit or miss getting a quality replacement. Sometimes they work fine, but sometimes they are weak at idle, and sometimes the case seals start to leak after a few months.

I have no experience with the aftermarket setups, but I can say I am not a fan of electronic controls. Give me some levers and cables!

Oh, and make sure your fan clutch is in good condition or your electric fans kick on whenever the compressor is running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrivTen