AC/Heater Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerDave87

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 crate
I know there has been a lot of posts about AC/Heater controls, etc.

I have an 82 K5, mostly original (except engine is a crate 350).

My question is that regardless of where the heat selector is placed, hot air is ALWAYS coming out of the heater vent down below as well as the vents. The upper selector does redirect the air for the most part to the location you choose, but there is always hot air coming out. It's much hotter if you move it over to HOT, but believe me when I say there is nothing COOL about the air when it's moved to Cool. I don't have the AC hooked up right now because it would need to be recharged, but this issue seems more to do with something else. I love driving it, but I'm relegated to morning and late evenings during the summer here in Northern CA.

Any help would be appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did you check the cables on the back of the hvac controls?

BlazerDave87

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 crate
Yes, I have. I made sure that the throw on the cable when it actuates the lever behind the glovebox takes it from one extreme to the other

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You could have a relaxed control vacuum diaphram. Check all of your vacuum lines. Especially the feed from the engine. I believe it's right behind the carb.

BlazerDave87

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 crate
Thanks. I'll check that out.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you remove the glove compartment door (five screws?) you will see a vertical panel on the heater box, with a couple of screws holding it. If you remove that panel you can see the heater blend door, which is what shuts off the heat flow. On top of the heater box you can see where the heat cable attaches, and where you can adjust it to make sure the door has full travel.

If your truck is typical, something has fallen down in the defrost vent and is preventing the heat blend door from shutting off the hot air flow. Its also possible that the rubber seal on the blend door is shot and not making a good seal. The heater core is full water flow and always making the box hot, so you will never get completely cool air, but at least make sure this door is shut and closing off the air flow through the heater core.

Bruce

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You could add a shut off valve/bypass loop in the heater core feed pipe. That way there was no hot water flowing through the heater core.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 82 C10 without factory air has a similar problem. I have totally gone through the heater box and have the air doors sealing as well as possible, which isn't all that great. I think the main problem is hot coolant is ALWAYS flowing through the heater core, and even with a slight gap between air door and box, fresh air is warmed up 10-15 degrees. That's still cool air on a 30 degree day, but it's very hot air on a 90 degree day.

I like the bypass valve idea, but need to find one that works with 5/8" and 3/4" hoses.

Or I could use a simple shutoff valve on the heater core inlet hose. But with my Vortec heads, the heater core acts as a t-stat bypass. Guess I could always use a Stewart t-stat with bypass holes. Actually have one in sitting on my workbench. Maybe that's a project for today. Nothing is as fun as pumping out coolant!

BlazerDave87

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 crate
Those are great ideas everyone. I guess I'll be tearing into that this weekend!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members