AC Delco electric pumps available anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Greetings to all fellow GM Squarebody owners!! I wanted to know if ANYONE knows if AC Delco electric fuel pumps are made anymore. I have an aftermarket one installed in my 1987 Silverado (5.7) Suburban and the fuel pressure doesn't climb as high as it should on the initial "KEY ON" mode of the fuel pump relay kicking in for 2 seconds. SOMETIMES I have to just barely push the accelerator pedal down and it starts right up. My 1994 Suburban (5.7) has an original AC Delco pump in it (I changed it out about 10 years ago) and it starts immediately every time. It looks like today's automotive parts are REALLY becoming pure junk compared when I worked as an automotive technician in the 80's and 90's.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Idk but, you’re correct on many parts being junk these days.
I started noticing it around 10 years ago.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Hey thanks! So I presume that Delphi is the new AC Delco supplier name brand? Thanks again.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah, the local parts houses still carry the Delco pumps. But just FYI, they're no better than anything else, they come from either Mexico or China now. EP381 is the PN# we all use around here for our LS conversions with '87 tanks and sending units.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Hey THANKS TotalyHucked, I do appreciate it.

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Seems to be true. Years back I used an airtex which didn't last 1 year. Had a Delco installed which lasted maybe 3 years. Used a Delphi, it quit about the same 3 years and now back using a Delco. When I was spending my time and extra money going to the dealer for "Delco" parts it was worth it but maybe 20 years ago I started noticing the box or plasltic bags parts came in had "made in China" on them. I told the parts counter I didn't come there for Chinese parts and they said "thats how we get them". I quit going to the dealer then by that time Rockauto was invented and I usually source what is needed through them since they offer Delco, Delphi and other "GM quality" options. When it comes to sensors/eletronics, I always use Delco which is always made in China but its better than most aftermarket brands on that subject. Water pumps, brake parts and so forth I usually pick a good aftermarket brand such as Acobono or Wagner, KYB, Moog and Gates. PSI on the TBI I believe is 9 lbs up to 11 lbs.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Greetings............good afternoon and Happy New Year to all!!! THANKS gsuburban and thanks for the input. I worked 32 years as an automotive technician and was Master Certified for 20 years, I sure miss the "DECENT QUALITY" ORIGINAL GM parts made in the U.S.A. The original AC Delco pumps came in a blue and white box and DID SAY "Made in the U.S.A." I actually carried a spare in my '94 Suburban and had to change it on the side of the road.......only 225,000 miles AND 25 years LATER on the original factory pump. But, I was smart enough to make an access panel in the rear body compartment to gain access to the fuel pump when it failed......you DO REALIZE electric fuel pumps LOVE to go out with a full tank of fuel..........only took about 30 minutes and I was done. I tried an aftermarket pump in my '87 and the pressure doesn't jump to 11 lbs. unless you cycle the relay about two times THEN it starts right up. My '94 starts right up EVERY time right away.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I went through 2 Delcos and 2 Delphis in 2 years in my square, I finally just put a Walboro in it. Hoping I won't have any issues for a good long time

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
WOW, 4 fuel pumps in 2 years!! Here's food for thought, back around 1999, my wife's 1989 Isuzu Trooper had a failed fuel pump. I called the dealer and they wanted over $400 for the original pump. At the time I just couldn't afford to pay that much soooooooooooooo I purchased an aftermarket pump for LESS than half of that, it worked until we sold it several years later. The original fuel pump looked HUGH like a tomato soup can and I remember the replacement aftermarket pump BARELY fit in the large holding ring because it was so small in diameter compared to the original pump. I sure miss the old "Made in the U.S.A" automotive parts.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I guess I should amend that statement, 2 of them I suspect to have gotten trash in them which burned them up. But I know for a fact 1 Delco and 1 Delphi failed for no apparent reason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes