A couple of interior things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, the interior of my ride is about as nice as the exterior. It's not good nor is it bad. However, there are a couple of things I'd like to see resolved.

First up is the passenger seatbelt. Truck has 3-point harness for driver and passenger. Driver side works mostly; but the passenger side not too well. You have to be really slow when drawing out the belt; otherwise, it just locks up and has to be retracted to start over. Is this something that I can fix or does it need replacing altogether? Driver's side gets loose when wearing and doesn't want to retract at times.

Second item is the crappy aftermarket steering wheel. Uncertain of brand, but it has 3 bolts under horn button. Anyways, those 3 bolts will work themselves out over time and eventually cause the center nut to work loose. Not a huge issue until I go to close the driver's door and the horn sounds momentarily from the steering wheel wobbling around. It only takes unhooking the battery and removing the horn button cover to tighten it all down. But, if there is a way to prevent them from backing out, I'm all ears.

That's about it. Thanks.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Replace both seatbelts and use some loc-tite on the steering wheel bolts.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If someone tried to lube the seat belts they may be gummed up. I have washed the mechanism with brake clean to get them working again. If you need to lube them it suould be a dry lube.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
And like retro said, use blue locktite. If the hole is a through hole put the locktite on the bolt. If it is a blind hole put the locktite in the hole.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
^+1 on what George said. Do not use the red Loctite just use the blue.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Just be sure the threads are clean and free of oil.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard of seat belt mechanisms being taken apart, cleaned thoroughly and hit with some graphite and they work like new again. And as said, BLUE loc tite. BLUE BLUE BLUE. The Red is just way to strong and you'll strip your screws and probably never get them out without drilling and all kinds of ********. Red is power tool strenght, Blue is hand tool strength. I use Blue for about everything.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Alright, blue it is then.

The seatbelt bit is not a have atm. I hardly ever get passengers as is. I'll save tearing them apart when the temps are a bit cooler.

Thanks for the tips.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Good to know about the seat belts. Thanks George and Hotrod.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
A note about the seat belts. You will have to take them out to work on them. I hold mine in the vise by the bracket. You will need to drill out two rivets to get the cover off and you cant get to them in the truck with the seat in. I tapped the rivet holes for 6-32 screws to reinstall the covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnutt79