A/C belt breaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I decided I'd like to have the air conditioning working in my truck again. So I went ahead and recharged the system. It ran good but when I was charging it the belt started slipping. I tightened the belt tighter and it was blowing cold air. After driving awhile it just broke. I put about 48 ounces in the system while the truck was running with the A/C engaged. The clutch seems to engage and let's go at timed intervals, is this normal? It appears the compressor can't compress the 134a properly. Any ideas of what's going on here? Any help would be really appreciated. My truck is a 1979 K10.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Usually it takes about 32 oz . Rent a set of gauges from autozone and get a reading on low and high side. It is probably overcharged. Too high of a pressure will put compressor in a bind and will put a lot of extra load on the belt and motor in general.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info I'll rent the gauges and check that out. I only had two 12 ounce cans in when it started slipping. Even though the system was open for years is it possible that there is still some refrigerant left over?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Thanks for the info I'll rent the gauges and check that out. I only had two 12 ounce cans in when it started slipping. Even though the system was open for years is it possible that there is still some refrigerant left over?

If it was open for years, then it was all empty and dryer should be replaced as well. It should also be be put under vacuum if it was open. Vacuum pump available for rent too. Orifice tube also should be replaced.(can cause excessive pressure build if clogged)

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I finally figured it out! The previous owner had put the belt only around the power steering pump and the AC compressor. After closer examination I did realize that I had to put it around the crankshaft pulley as well LOL! Well live and learn I never tried to hook up one of these systems before. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. The AC is blowing nice and cold now.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Great that it was just the belt. You had me thinking charge related as 48oz is too much for the system

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP