92 TBI 350 5.7 Stalling Issue, Code 32 EGR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
That would be a safe assumption......how would I tell if the tranission has a vette servo or shift kit.....and this question is for Jim. My truck has a check engine light that comes on randomly and also randomly will die when I put it in reverse or drive and has a bit of a stumble as well

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That would be a safe assumption......how would I tell if the tranission has a vette servo or shift kit.....and this question is for Jim. My truck has a check engine light that comes on randomly and also randomly will die when I put it in reverse or drive and has a bit of a stumble as well

IF it's a Vette Servo and/or shift kit you should get a pretty firm 1-2 shift at half throttle. At almost full throttle, 1-2 shift should be very firm. Not like rolling into the next gear, it would be more positive, and not so soggy.

I'll take a guess on that stalling issue too. Have you pulled codes yet? I have a feeling you'll get a code 32 and EGR is having issues. You might get off with removing it and cleaning the carbon build up off of it and reinstalling it. Then reset your ECM to erase the code and see it if comes back. My next guess would be some cracked vac lines or lines not connected good or properly.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Jump A and B and see what the code is.
And dont tell your FIL I told you to do this, but put that pressure gauge on the fuel line too...do it when he is not looking. Dont want him to get mad.

Last edited:

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
I have plans on putting fuel pressure gauge in with a pod one for fuel one for temp and one for trans temp and one for oil pressure I'll check codes and report back thanks guys

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have plans on putting fuel pressure gauge in with a pod one for fuel one for temp and one for trans temp and one for oil pressure I'll check codes and report back thanks guys

Random CEL is usually egr or tps, but we will see.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
I'll put money on tps because it has erratic idle issues

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll put money on tps because it has erratic idle issues

TPS stationary at idle...you could have someting knocking that the knock sensor is picking up and fiddling with the timing at idle. dont put money on anything untill the ecm points you in the right direction.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Lol true I'll check before I put a dime in the damn truck anymore because I can't afford to toss money away like I did on my k5

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Code 32 is what I have

Hmmmm, kinda seems that might have been mentioned a few days ago. :shrug: I'd pull it off clean, clean any carbon build I could off of it, use a pick or pointed object to clean down in the round groove. Make sure the pintle is clean and free. Vac test if you have a pump. Just hook a hose to it, and give it a few pumps and make sure it's free. Reinstall. Clear the codes and drive it.

IF it's a Vette Servo and/or shift kit you should get a pretty firm 1-2 shift at half throttle. At almost full throttle, 1-2 shift should be very firm. Not like rolling into the next gear, it would be more positive, and not so soggy.

I'll take a guess on that stalling issue too. Have you pulled codes yet? I have a feeling you'll get a code 32 and EGR is having issues. You might get off with removing it and cleaning the carbon build up off of it and reinstalling it. Then reset your ECM to erase the code and see it if comes back. My next guess would be some cracked vac lines or lines not connected good or properly.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmmmm, kinda seems that might have been mentioned a few days ago. :shrug: I'd pull it off clean, clean any carbon build I could off of it, use a pick or pointed object to clean down in the round groove. Make sure the pintle is clean and free. Vac test if you have a pump. Just hook a hose to it, and give it a few pumps and make sure it's free. Reinstall. Clear the codes and drive it.

Unless its a BP egr, then he will have to start the engine, then add vacuum to test it....needs exhaust pressure to lock the small vac valve inside the egr itself.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Unless its a BP egr, then he will have to start the engine, then add vacuum to test it....needs exhaust pressure to lock the small vac valve inside the egr itself.

Even just to make sure the diaphram is not seized?

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Pulled egr out yesterday and it was clean no carbon anywhere so does that mean the egr no good?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Even just to make sure the diaphram is not seized?

yup. think of it like this....front door is the vac line from the solenoid, back door is the valve that slams shut with exhaust pressure. engine off, back door open, wont hold vac.It could be popped open, but the diaphragm is easier to punctur on that type.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you have a Vac Pump? If you do, Start the motor. Hook the vac line pump to the EGR. with motor idling, and hitting the EGR with vacuum, the motor should stumble badly and almost shut off even shut off from a bad vac leak. If it does not, then the EGR is BAD. If it does, the EGR valve itself is probably fine, and you have another issue with the EGR system. I do believe 92 also used a EGR Solenoid, it could be that, or a bad vac line to the EGR etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD