91' Suburban problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The fan switch in the dash are known to melt inside and take a crap too. I had to replace the one in my '89.

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
It's funny to me to see all these electrical failures popping up out of the blue. Maybe a grounding issue is showing itself? Simple test light procedures will help trace down the issue.

The windshield wiper issue has returned and no power to the fan problem has returned. This started after changing out the heater core. I can't help but wonder if I knocked something loose putting the plastic duct work back in up under the dash. I have to run into town and pick up a test light and will give that a shot trying to run down the problem.

My turn signal switch came in last week so I'll see if I can't get that installed as well.

While looking for loose wires, I ran across wires that one of the two previous owners snipped. As soon as I can get them off of my phone and onto the computer I'll post them.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The windshield wiper issue has returned and no power to the fan problem has returned. This started after changing out the heater core. I can't help but wonder if I knocked something loose putting the plastic duct work back in up under the dash. I have to run into town and pick up a test light and will give that a shot trying to run down the problem.

My turn signal switch came in last week so I'll see if I can't get that installed as well.

While looking for loose wires, I ran across wires that one of the two previous owners snipped. As soon as I can get them off of my phone and onto the computer I'll post them.

Man you got all kinds of fun ahead lol. :popcorn:

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
Progress made!

Well wipers are working kind of.....Regardless of setting they go at one speed and you have to play with the switch to get them to stop. I asked the guy at oriellys if there was some speed sensor or another component related to the windshield wipers and he looked at me as though I had a third eye.

Also, I have to jiggle the wiper fuse to get them to work. So the short or problem is there at the fuse panel. They work, it's raining, I look into it more at another time.

The blower motor.....short or ground issue.....don't know. It will work then it won't. Don't know, and at this point don't care :whymewhyme:

I did get the new cruise control / turn signal switch installed. I was able to get the cord down the inside of the column using a piece of bailing wire and wire lube.

Cruise control worked fine on test run. I have to go to Dallas tomorrow so we'll see how the truck does.

Looking for a short or ground wire issue:
You must be registered for see images attach

Wires cut by PO:

Gremlins suck...whatcha gonna do? :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
OMFG the wires to the computer are hacked? :wtf:

Good job on the wire feed through the column!! :waytogo:

:popcorn:

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
OMFG the wires to the computer are hacked? :wtf:
I guess so. WTF is what I thought also.
Good job on the wire feed through the column!! :waytogo:
Thx.
:popcorn:

I am leaving the dash exposed so as to have one less step to take when trouble shooting the wiring, then put it all back together when I have fixed the issues.

I think my next step will be replacing the fan switch like you mentioned earlier in this thread.

Any mods or improvements that can be made while the dash is off?

I think I am going to go ahead and change on the incan bulbs for LED lighting.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am leaving the dash exposed so as to have one less step to take when trouble shooting the wiring, then put it all back together when I have fixed the issues.

I think my next step will be replacing the fan switch like you mentioned earlier in this thread.

Any mods or improvements that can be made while the dash is off?

I think I am going to go ahead and change on the incan bulbs for LED lighting.

I did a lot of trial and error and I recommend these bulbs if you go to LED. Very worth the investment. Cheaper way would be to run strip LED's in the cluster housing also. I wanted to keep the factory bulb placement. I think 7 bulbs cover the dash lighting including the 1 bulb for the heater control lighting. I needed another 4 on top of that to take care of the overhead console.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/WLED-R9-CBT/

Pictures and install and LED comparison here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239702&highlight=dash#post239702

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx