91 5.7 TBI hesitation problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for the help everyone. I disconnected the vacuum solenoid and plugged the EGR port and the TBI port. The hesitation problem went away for about a week and came back yesterday (the ports are still plugged, btw). The only thing I can think to add is that it started raining yesterday (constant over several hours). Would the moisture have an effect in some way? Why would plugging the the EGR fix the problem temporarily? Could it be a crack in the disributor cap letting in moisture? Maybe the catalytic clogging up? Fuel pressure regulator in the TBI going bad? Coolant temp sensor? Like I said I don't want to just throw parts at it but I'm stumped.

Hmm. Very strange. Still no engine light either?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Nope. No "service engine" light.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Ok, more weird things for you to consider. The gas gauge is acting strange. When it sits at idle (and the idle is very high until it warms up) the gauge goes way past full (may an inch or more past) but then when I put it in gear and start driving it settles back to "full". The AM stations on the radio are also drowned out by static when the engine is running but when I turn it off the AM channels are crystal clear. Not sure if that has anything to do with all of this but I wanted to throw that in there for consideration.

I looked in the glove box for a label. I found one with a bunch of numbers but I'm not sure which one is the number for the computer. There were quite a few on the label.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I also just took it out for a drive and it didn't hesitate. It hasn't rained since last night and it's been sunny outside. Moisture problem?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You can post a pic of the code sheet on your glove box and we can interpret it. You got a few weird things going on here and I really don't know what to say. When was the last tune up, wires/cap/rotor/plugs?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Did the wires about three months ago. Haven't done plugs or cap/rotor yet. I bought the Suburban last October so I have no idea when the last tune up was done.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did the wires about three months ago. Haven't done plugs or cap/rotor yet. I bought the Suburban last October so I have no idea when the last tune up was done.

Welp, it's no big deal to pop it off and take a look see. You may have some buildup on the terminals under there. Small Phillips screw driver for the cap, or a 8MM socket. Check the vent screens on the bottom of the dist are clear. Check the rotor tip and center contact. When is the last time you looked at the plugs?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Here are some pictures of the label inside the glove box.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully I did this correctly so you can see them.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I just changed the Distributor cap and rotor. The metal under the rotor was very rusted. I tried to clean up as much rust as I could and put the new rotor and cap on. It's an Accel unit. We'll see if it makes any difference.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I just changed the Distributor cap and rotor. The metal under the rotor was very rusted. I tried to clean up as much rust as I could and put the new rotor and cap on. It's an Accel unit. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Okie Dokie.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Let me know if you can figure anything out from the glove box numbers I posted. Thanks.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Ok. I'll do that some time this week. Not sure when though. The incoming weather may hamper working outside for a while.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I cut off the converter and put on a straight pipe. I'm crossing my fingers but I think this solved the problem. Thanks for all the help.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I cut off the converter and put on a straight pipe. I'm crossing my fingers but I think this solved the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Help at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman