89 Trans Am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Ironically I love the 3rd gen Camaro, the body style just doesn't say Trans Am to me. Maybe I'm just biased because the 2nd gen Trans Am is like my ******* dream car lol. But yeah I pretty much hate red on most vehicles (although once again ironically a good 60-70% of the cars I've owned in my life have been red)
The thing that is the biggest turn off on this gen are the bumpers on the standard and formula with the black rubber pieces. Can't get past it. So bad with the rubber inserts and they are on the front and back bumpers. I don't care for this color either.
You must be registered for see images attach

When they ditched the ridiculously ugly rubber pieces and changed back to the beek they got sexy again. Here's a beauty in a great red.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I always hated the 91-92 bumpers. Probably going to go ahead with the blue, but wheels have to stay with c5's

The thing that is the biggest turn off on this gen are the bumpers on the standard and formula with the black rubber pieces. Can't get past it. So bad with the rubber inserts and they are on the front and back bumpers. I don't care for this color either.

When they ditched the ridiculously ugly rubber pieces and changed back to the beek they got sexy again. Here's a beauty in a great red.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always hated the 91-92 bumpers. Probably going to go ahead with the blue, but wheels have to stay with c5's

I always realy liked the '91-'92 base bumpers. They made for a nice clean and sleek body, but without the funky bumper pads. As far as the T/A goes, you got the good bumpers.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Slowly going for a color change. I am working on stripping things, while someone else doing paint prep and paint. I will have to do the engine bay it self at a later time by my self as that requires a lot of disassembly. I have also went ahead and installed aluminium crash bar, but it will need to be modified for fog light mounts.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Lower door seam was rotten, had to weld in a strip of metal and stitch weld back together. Bought a front bumper without license plate holes and needed one of the front bumper extensions. And slowly moving closer to completion.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Brought the camaro back in for some follow up work. Headers killing spark plug wires, some exhaust leaks, shifter linkage and trans pan gasket, and rear end cover leaking.
Worst header design for spark plug clearance.
I did heads/cam/intake/ac change up on it couple of years back

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Fill plug on a white camaro diff just did not want to give up.

Last edited:

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well if you don’t drive it , like I did ! The fuel will kill them nowadays , do yourself a favor , cut an access door ! Life is so much easier with it plus no exhaust cutting , fuel pump change time 30 minutes or less . The way I did it was with a piece of aluminum. And the windshield rubber , the sticky kind . Screw it down , air tight no fumes , under the carpet . It’s out of site . Best thing I e ever done .

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well if you don’t drive it , like I did ! The fuel will kill them nowadays , do yourself a favor , cut an access door ! Life is so much easier with it plus no exhaust cutting , fuel pump change time 30 minutes or less . The way I did it was with a piece of aluminum. And the windshield rubber , the sticky kind . Screw it down , air tight no fumes , under the carpet . It’s out of site . Best thing I e ever done .

That way of doing it ain't for everyone. Doing it that way, you have to cut and splice the high pressure fuel lines which can be a fire hazard. Self-tapping screws pointing at the fuel tank can be a bad thing in a crash too.

I've always dropped the tank on F-bodys. Always will in the future too.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure why you referring to cutting high pressure line . That is something you can’t do , unless like you say you want a fire . As far as screws near the tank , mine are 2 inches away of more , no it isn’t for everyone, but for most of us FBody street racers it’s the only way to go .

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am with the no holes being cut camp. Keep adapters and inline pump if need to limp a vehicle home.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not sure why you referring to cutting high pressure line . That is something you can’t do , unless like you say you want a fire . As far as screws near the tank , mine are 2 inches away of more , no it isn’t for everyone, but for most of us FBody street racers it’s the only way to go .

Most years, and I believe all 3rd gen years, you have to cut the fuel lines to fit the sender through the opening cut in the floor. You simply can't cut a hole big enough to avoid it. Well, you can, but it's going to be one hell of a giant hole that drastically compromises the structural integrity of the rear half of the car.

Of all "us" f-body street racers, most do not choose to make the access panel. Yes, many do. But not most. It's not like it is a trick that people don't do because they aren't aware of it. Everybody that's even remotely familiar with the cars know that you can do it that way, but a good chunk of the owners choose not to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79