87 V20 - Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattdarko

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Alright so i'm here to get the opinions from the experts here on the question I've been asking myself for months: Is this Chevy truck worth fixing up? Or should I just get it out of my driveway...

Background story:

I inherited the truck back in April from my grandfather (Side note, I had no relationship with my grandfather. His stuff was left to my mom because she was next of kin). He had about 5 trucks on his property and I was left to pick whichever one I wanted. Being a german car kind of guy, I wasn't thrilled by any of them. That is until I drove the chevy down to get pizza. There was something about how raw and powerful this beast was. I made my decision to take it.

The vehicle:

1987 Chevy V20 pickup. 350 motor, 3 speed manual trans. The truck is in pretty rough condition cosmetically, but it was running like a top. Drove it about 500 miles home and it ran beautifully the whole way. When I got it home, I noticed a few issues with the brakes which prompted a very expensive $1400 repair bill. But after that it was even better. Until one day when it just died on me driving down to the store. Engine cut completely. No warning, no recovery.

The trucks current state:

Sitting in my driveway leaking oil and coolant everywhere. Hasn't run since May. Engine was waterlocked due to a small fire my dumb ass started by pouring gasoline into the intake to try and start it and rule out a spark or air issue. The truck started, reved up a little, backfired and lit the intake on fire. So instead of smothering the fire with the air box cover, I panicked and poured a half gallon of water on it :whymewhyme: I did pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to get all of the water out of the combustion chamber. But that was the last thing I did to it.

The dilemma:

Is it worth fixing? I really don't have time to work on my cars anymore due to long work hours. It's not impossible, and if it's worth keeping I will put the time into it. But with the way the trucks been sitting all of this time I'm not sure if I've ruined the engine now or not. I want to keep it because I am $1400 into it which only got me a few miles until the engine quit, and it's a badass truck that is a perfect work truck. I find myself too often using my old jetta to haul stuff which is not ideal.

What do you guys think. Is it possible that i've wrecked the engine beyond reasonable repair? Or is it just a matter of finding the fuel issue, fixing it, changing the fluids and starting her back up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Based on what you posted it's my guess that the fuel pump died on you. It is mounted in the tank. If you give the center bottom of the fuel tank a good punch with your gloved fist or a rubber mallet it usually will get the pump to kick in. How many miles are on this vehicle? If you got water in the cylinders and it's been sitting that long that is not a good sign. Best thing you can do is drain and change the oil and fire it up and see what happens. Just make sure the engine turns over and is not locked up. A compression test will also help see what may be the situation there.

Other questions are has anything been hacked up in the engine compartment or cab interior? Is it basically untouched and all stock? How beat up is the truck. What was the reason for the large amount of money spent on the brakes? Rust? Does the truck have rust issues? These are all questions you need to research to determine on your own if the truck is worth keeping.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the motor isn't locked up and you only have $1400 in it(I'm baffled by the $1400 brake job) why wouldn't you keep it? Being a Cali truck I assume there isn't a big rust problem. Even if it costs another $300-$400 to get it running, your still money ahead. That's a 30 year old rig that could be back on the road with just a little work and could potentially still be on the road 30 years from now. You can't go to the dealership and drop $60k on a 3/4 ton that you will still have on the road 30 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30