87' Turn signals not working please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
V-8/350
Hello Fellow Square Body Family,
My 87' Suburbans turn signal lights just stopped working and I haven't a clue what it could be. I checked the fuses and thier fine. The emergency lights do blink, and the parking lights and tail lights work. Just no signals. Can you please recommend what to check next. Thanks

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
when you attempt to turn on the turn signal do you here a clicking sound if not its probably a bad flasher

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The flasher for the turns is on the bottom right of the fuse block next to the parking brake and the flasher for the 4 ways is above the gas pedal to the right, lower left part of that board. At least it is on mine.

Tony

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
V-8/350
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll check the flasher and let you know. And no I don't hear the clicking of the blinker when I engage it. I only see one round flasher, is the the only one? And if not where would the other be.
thanks again.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
its probably the flasher then since you should here a click that is quiet but can still be heard
another thing you can do to test is connect a test light to one side of the flasher and creat a circuit and see if the light on the test light flashes if not replace the flasher
the other flasher will be located near the accelerator pedal already note by 89Suburban

Last edited:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm gonna piggy back on this one...Mods, please correct if necessary.

Anywho......here's the symptoms that I have (DS = left, PS = right):
1) Left turn signals work perfectly.
2) With the lights off, right turn signal comes on, but doesn't blink. Front side marker stays off.
3) With the lights off, right turn signal comes on constantly in the back, but the front flasher & side marker are off.
4) With the hazards on, everything blinks that should. The front flashers and side markers blink together. Earlier in the thread I read they should alternate between the side marker and the front. Mine don't, but I can remember if this has always been the case or not. Both backs blink at the same time. On the front, they sometimes alternate left and right. Other times the right flashes about 1/2 second behind the left.

Whaddaya think? Hopefully it's a bad flasher (=simple fix). Or do y'all think I've somehow developed a wiring problem? It wasn't doing this before. It started when I was taking it to the shop on Sat to get the brake hose replaced.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This doesn't addess your problem but might help someone else:

You must be registered for see images attach

You probably have a loose ground. Probably at the common ground point on the radiator support:

You must be registered for see images attach

Release, clean the contact surfaces and retighten the bolt.

Also, go through each parking light assembly (rears as well as fronts), remove the lamps and check the sockets. Use a Scotchbrite pad to clean any corrosion/oxidation from the socket walls and base. wash the sockets out with carb cleaner and replace the lamps.

This is a good place to start the troubleshooting procedure. But first, as an easy check of the flasher relay, try switching the hazard flasher with the directionals. If the problem goes away - you're all done.

Attachments

• Directional Light Diagnostic Chart.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks Chengy. I'm gonna drive her to work today. Hopefully I'll get home in time to swap the flashers at least. Whether it works or not, I'll go ahead and clean & tighten the ground.

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
i had that problem .it was the turn/run lite bulb socket

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
i had that problem .it was the turn/run lite bulb socket

So, the one below the headlight? How did you diagnose it? If you pulled the bulb out, did everything else start working correctly?

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Just to update: I started checking sockets and didn't see any sign of deterioration. With the bulbs still out, I went ahead and swapped the flashers and the signals started working. However, now the right dash indicator stays dimly lit when the lights are on. Otherwise, everything is flashing as it should. When I went to reinstall the front bulb, I saw some corrosion in the socket on the side terminal. Went to clean it out, and the side terminal just broke off. Tomorrow, I'm going in search of a new socket and I'll go ahead and put 2 new flashers in since they're pretty cheap. Hopefully, it'll all be fixed after that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
When I went to reinstall the front bulb, I saw some corrosion in the socket on the side terminal. Went to clean it out, and the side terminal just broke off.

:console:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare