87 r10 engine and trans problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Went to check fuel pressure today and this brown fluid scrap was on back side of my throttle body

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Pic

You must be registered for see images attach

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Fuel pressure is 11 psi at idle. But when u first turn the key and let the pump cycle it is less then 5 psi

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Blown head gasket is desppiting that sludge on the back of my throttle body via the valve cover vent tube that flows into the tb spacer. I've been keeping an eye on it and that sludge dries up after about 1.5 hrs. I had the truck warmed up and the tb spacer off and haven't had the starting issue

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
And sounds pump is weak or there is restriction. Tbi should have 11-14psi. But the sludge is a problem too.

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
New distributor, Ignition control module, pickup coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition coil, rebuilt throttle body, fuel pump relay, new manifold temp sensor and coolant temp sensor. Head gasket isn't blown. Still having the issue.

Fuel flows through injectors perfectly also

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Where was the sludge coming from. Have you verified the fuel pressure to be above 10psi during cranking no start scenario? Might need to connect a compiter to it.

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Valve cover breather. I put a push on filter on it sludge was probably being created from condensation from short trips. Oil and coolant r fine.

What is the fuel pressure suppose to be with key on and engine not running, just the pump doing the initial cycle

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should get up to 11-14 psi and stay there during cranking. If it is dropping down while cranking it could be an issue. Or can just check fuel pressure when cold when it starts right away and then check when warm during the problem. If they are similar, then not a problem. Would likely need to get a computer connected to check what ecm is seeing.

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Also I checked out my oil pressure unit and it only has one wire. I was under the impression that a tbi oil pressure unit has two wires and one of them is for the fuel pump?

Torqueshop1

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The p.o. put an aux oil pressure gauge in the truck that has a small clear tube running to the other port behind the distributor. Could this be the issue if the truck doesn't fire up right away and there is no secondary oil pressure circuit telling the pump to run? If so how do I go about fixing it I don't see any cut wires or un used plugs

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
hello all. dont really know how the setup is for tbi trucks, but maybe the kickdown cable for your trans needs adjusting(?) mine works in conjuction with the throttle cable ( carb'd ) and if its off the trans will not shift right. also, might be your torque converter is worn out (?). as far as the motor issues, someone mentioned goin back over the basics, always a good idea. my only other thought would be bad O2 sensors(?) hope you get it sorted out, good luck

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also I checked out my oil pressure unit and it only has one wire. I was under the impression that a tbi oil pressure unit has two wires and one of them is for the fuel pump?

Mine is a single wire and I do not have an aftermarket gauge installed. Actually, the plastic around the connector broke off, so I can't use it right now anyways. But, it never has worked. Gauge is always maxed out.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mine is a single wire and I do not have an aftermarket gauge installed. Actually, the plastic around the connector broke off, so I can't use it right now anyways. But, it never has worked. Gauge is always maxed out.
Your sensor or gauge is shorted to ground

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Your sensor or gauge is shorted to ground

It's gotta be the gauge, cause the sensor is disconnected. I can find the wire under the truck, but not above. Makes it tough to trace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy