'87 GMC V2500 Sierra 3.4 ton 4X4 Spindle problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boneheaddoctor

Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
OK, posting this here after trying all afternoon to get a hold of a local buddy to pick his brain on WHY this is happening.

I am in the middle of replacing ball joints on my GMC 3.4 ton 4X4 (corporate 10 bolt, w/ 8 ug hubs). Got the hub off, got the 6 nuts that hold the backing plate and caliper mount off...and I'm looking at a spindle that does NOT want go come off, Several days of penitrating oil...no dice., piece of 2x4 to protect the spindle and wailing on it with a hammer...no dice. Cold chisel and a BFH between the spindle and hub..no dice. AIR HAMMER with chisel bit.....make a lot of noise....but no dice.

Watch YouTube videos....everyone elses slips right off easily at this point. Mine acts like its welded on.

Does anyone have any ideas. I'm ready to start throwing and breaking things.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thread the hub nut on and use a puller. The jaws grab the nut and the center pushes on the axle stub. The key is knocking it straight away from the knuckle, side blows often don't do much.

boneheaddoctor

Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Update. Managed to get it off. Liberal ammounts of heat on the knuckle froma cutting torch rosebud and hitting it even harder than I was and it finally came off. THough I literally splintered to chunks of 2X4 before it ever started to budge (meaning I could see ANY gap forming).

I still have to to the other side so I will be cutting out a plate to put behind the hub nuts as they don't have much of an edge to grab against with a puller. I might make something I can use with a slide hammer as well using the OEM nuts as I have no means to thread my own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance