86 K10 won't start - Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I drive my 86 K10 as a daily driver without a hickup drove it to and from the coast this weekend without any issues. I went to start it this morning, it started right up like it usually does, I pulled it out into the street and the motor stalled. It has never done anything like this. I tried to start it and it cranks like it would if it were going to start, but it does not fire up. It has plenty of fresh fuel in the tank.

When I turn the key to accessories and all the gauges come on, radio, lights etc. I can hear what sounds like an electrical clicking next to or behind the air cleaner as well as in front where there is a round canister with a couple hoses and an electrical plug connected to it. Normally, when I turn the key that far, I hear a quiet clicking that I always thought was the choke warming up on the Qjet. But, this is much more noticeable.

I have not had a chance to look at it closely as I had to get to work, but I wanted to get some input on what I might be looking for.

My thought was a bad ignition coil as that is the area the clicking is coming from and it would certainly not start if it were bad. Probably should check for spark at the plug first?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

It has a 350 and a Quadrajet carb.

Thanks!

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
starter relay/coil?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Probably should check for spark at the plug first?

Yep. Do the basic tests first. Starting with the easiest:

1. Pull the air cleaner cover and shoot some ether (starting fluid) into the carb. Don't give it too much - this is just a test. If the engine temporarily fires up - you have a fuel delivery problem.

2. Starting fluid doesn't get it to kick over, it's not a fuel issue. Next go to the business end of the ignition system. Pull a plug, reattach the plug wire and ground it on the engine block. Crank the starter and check for spark.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wanted to give an update of what I found. Spark? Check. Fuel from the fuel pump? Check. Pulled the filter out of the side of the carb...

...and the check valve and spring popped out. I assume it was too far out and would not go back in from the fuel pressure. I pushed it back in as it should be, put everything back together and fired right up. I let it idle for a few minutes, then went up to the parts store for a new filter with a check valve and it runs great.

I was seriously expecting it to be spark related, but the $3 repair for a new filter will do just fine. ;)

Sueco

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
:party36:

When it's easy like this - Your whole day just gets awesome!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Probably should check for spark at the plug first?

Yep. Do the basic tests first. Starting with the easiest:

1. Pull the air cleaner cover and shoot some ether (starting fluid) into the carb. Don't give it too much - this is just a test. If the engine temporarily fires up - you have a fuel delivery problem.

2. Starting fluid doesn't get it to kick over, it's not a fuel issue. Next go to the business end of the ignition system. Pull a plug, reattach the plug wire and ground it on the engine block. Crank the starter and check for spark.

I would prefer to remove the air cleaner and manually turn the throttle fairly quickly, and listen to see if there is any fuel being shot with the accelerator pump. If the bowl has been run dry you will not hear anything. If there is fuel in the bowl you will hear a squishing sound of fuel being shot.

If the bowl has fuel its not a fuel delivery issue. If there's no fuel it is almost certainly is a bad fuel pump or fuel line issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky