86 K10 pickup Column Shift problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpangle85

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got a weird problem after dropping the steering column to replacing the ignition switch on my son's 86 K10. After replacing the truck starts up fine but the column shifter only moves a slight bit like it's locked, it makes a slight clunk like it's about to shift out of park but it doesn't. Could the new switch cause this or is it possible I bent something? I had to have him hold the column down with only slight force to get my hands back in there. It shifted fine before I did this. I'm not very knowledgeable about the steering columns in these trucks. And this was not the key switch, it was the actual electronic box that the rod from the key switch actuates.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The switch does have some adjustment to them so it maybe not quite in its spot and the key isn't all the way back.

tpangle85

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The switch does have some adjustment to them so it maybe not quite in its spot and the key isn't all the way back.
You were right. I pulled it back apart and adjusted the switch towards the back and it all works properly now. I didn't pay attention that it was slotted until you posted this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg