86 blazer l31 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86blazer32

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Alright guys I’m gearing up to do an l31 engine swap in my 86 k5. It’s gonna be bolted up to a 700r4 and has to be commie legal as I live in CA. This means since I’m swapping to a new engine it will be required to have all the same smog equipment as the engine out of the donor vehicle. Which should be fine. My problem mostly lies in the wiring harness and making everything work with the 700r4. On a budget right now so 4l60e isn’t an option. My understanding is to make this motor work with this tranny I will need to somehow make the tv cable from the 700r4 work with the throttle. To do this I plan on buying a tv cable with extra length and using one of those wire clamps to adjust it on my throttle. I Will be tapping something into the side of the throttle for the cable to run through with the adjuster on the other side. Will this work? Theoretically it seems possible, right? I also understand I will need to have my ecm flashed into thinking it’s a manual transmission and for gauges I’m planning on running aftermarket gauges fixed to diamond playing which will make up my dash. Hsd anyone else had experience with a swap like this? I’m trying to prepare myself for everything and have as much as possible set up and ready. What do you guys think? Will this work? Am I missing anything?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If it’s an l31 why not use the carb?

86blazer32

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I could but then would have to switch back to all my old smog equipment to be smog legal. Which I don’t have plus the vortec heads aren’t built for EGR.

86blazer32

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
This is basically what I’m looking at doing for my tv cable. This was done for an ls build but is the same concept, only difference is his throttle rotates clockwise while mine is counter clockwise that’s why in my sketch the tab that will be pointed upward. This will require a custom bracket which I’m thinking I will weld to the existing bracket for the throttle and cruise control cables. The tab on the throttle will be welded at an angle to put the tv cable exactly 1 inch up and 1/2 forward from center to allow for the right articulation during throttle to pull the cable.

You must be registered for see images attach

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah I have seen the Kickdown cables hooked up to the throttle pedal too. I dunno seems like a lot of work to run a FI l31.
Black box sucks so are you running the 0411?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I guess it all seems a waste to me. You’re still going to need to wire it up add all the smog crap install the 87+ fuel tank, HP fuel lines, etc. The 4l60e can be found at any JY for 150 bucks and will serve you well.
Budget engine swaps aren’t a thing in CA, When smog equipment is a requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB