85 K20, what's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
It was only briefly used to plow the guys business parking lot and although I didn't completely remove the vinyl floor cover, the corners looked pretty good. Looks like a nice solid truck, the guy has redone a few of these and just bought a new K5 to work on, so he didn't need this anymore.

The truck doesn't have the manual, is there a PDF floating around?

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It was only briefly used to plow the guys business parking lot and although I didn't completely remove the vinyl floor cover, the corners looked pretty good. Looks like a nice solid truck, the guy has redone a few of these and just bought a new K5 to work on, so he didn't need this anymore.

Don't assume. Frame cracks at the steering box and floor rot are two VERY VERY common things in these old trucks.

If you peel back the vinyl and the floor is in prestine shape then I'd not be too worried but I would still be looking underneath at all the supports and rockers.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

You can check out the floor from underneath the truck at the same time you inspect the rest of the under carriage.

Curtis has a valid point usually when you see a front frame attachment you see bent or broken frame and driveline components. Although its really weird that if that was the case that the guy would put that much money into fixing it up! But heh you never know! So best to check before you pay for it!

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well everything looks good, so I picked it up! The only thing I need to figure out is how to pop that plow mount off. I'll never use it and the clearance would be nice.

It was a Meyer plow (Don't know which), anyone familiar?

Here's some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How much did you pick that up for?

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
$3900...not sure how good of a deal it was, but it's tough to find anything even relatively solid around here.

I'll probably do some maintenance soon just to make sure it's good. Recommendations on what to look at specifically? I think I'll need to do an alignment and ball joints soon.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Looks like a decent truck to me, but I'm not familiar with the rust belt trucks or plow trucks.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looks like a good deal.

Just start with the basics

Engine oil and filter change
Transmission filter and fluid flush
T-case ATF fluid change for 208/241 gear oil for 203/205
Differential fluid change

Grease all U joints and ball joints

Top up brake fluid and change air and PCV filters

Check that all the lights function properly

Then pop off the wheels and check the brakes

You could also repack the front wheel bearings for the cost of the grease and inner wheel seals

Last edited:

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm really strapped for time lately because of work, so tonight I dropped it off at a local auto shop that is very honest and fair, it's one of the best in town, and told them pop off the plow mount and run through everything and call me with a list of what all needs to be replaced.

I know the ball joints need to be replaced, maybe the tierods and an alignment. Hopefully nothing else pops up...everything seems to be running A-OK and both gas tanks work just fine, which I know can be an issue. I noticed the steering was a little loose, so I expected the three aforementioned things to need attention. We'll see tomorrow what they say!

All the lights, horn, gas tanks, radio, heat/ac, etc works. I'll see what they say tomorrow and determine what needs to be done now and what can wait. Will keep everyone posted!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you really do need ball joints don't be surprised if its a big $ estimate to go through that front axle. To properly redo the front axle it needs to be totally disassembled. The ring gear/carrier and pinion need to come out to do it properly and replace all the seals. Then you might need new inner axle shafts if the inner oil seals have worn grooves in them.

To have a shop do that front axle will probably cost you $2-$3,500

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well I was quoted a bit more than $1k to do the ball joints, tie rods and u joints. Right now I'm just doing the tie rods, because the balls and Us together is cheaper than doing one now and another later. They're also dropping the plow, which will be about $100. Just going to spread some maintenance over the next few weeks as checks come in.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I was quoted a bit more than $1k to do the ball joints, tie rods and u joints. Right now I'm just doing the tie rods, because the balls and Us together is cheaper than doing one now and another later. They're also dropping the plow, which will be about $100. Just going to spread some maintenance over the next few weeks as checks come in.

See how much extra they want to change the inner seals as its easier to do it while its all opened up

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
See how much extra they want to change the inner seals as its easier to do it while its all opened up

Will do, good call! I thought the prices were fair. Basically I did the tie rods today for $200, the ball and U joints will be $8-900, then I'll see about the inner seals when I talk to him. I'll be having this all done in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schultz76