85 k10 firing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mgeiger31

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 H.O
k10 no spark need help!!!!!!!

This has got me baffled. Easing down the road at an idle truck died. It would turn over but wouldn't crank. I first checked fuel line at carb and carb. It had fuel. So since I needed to anyway I changed all plugs and wires still no fire at plugs. Changed coil and still nothing. The coil I removed had a red and yellow wire. The new had a red black and yellow. I was unsure what to do with the black wire.... Check voltage on wiwires with key on red-12.5 black -0 yellow-12.5. I'm puzzled. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Try replacing the ignition module. Black wire is ground.

Mgeiger31

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 H.O
Try replacing the ignition module. Black wire is ground.
HEI distributor. Module is still installed under dash. Is this necessary ? How can I remove module? I did however just go ahead and replace the entire distributor hooked all up and fired up. However I Think I still don't have timing just right... Any tip on that would be great as well

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
HEI distributor. Module is still installed under dash. Is this necessary ? How can I remove module? I did however just go ahead and replace the entire distributor hooked all up and fired up. However I Think I still don't have timing just right... Any tip on that would be great as well

HEI's have an ignition module inside the dizzy. If you pull the cap you'll see it. Fairly common to be the culprit if you lose ignition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrenchersllc